Culture shock when visiting home

Carlosgreat said:
Hola a todos! if you let me to I 'dlike to give my opinion and since I go back and forth Rosario AR to Florida US every 6 month I have experienced some of the "shocks" above mentioned and most of them are true. Also I agree with Lee about complaining, EVEN if you are not living at your native country, things can be changed and we ALL have an effect on the culture more or less.
Us is a great nation that I love, with all "big", convenient, comfortable, relatively safer (comparing AR )etc. The downside is that the consumism goes to a point that people start leaving other areas of live that are important too, like family , may be ... or on the daily life, "una charla con el almacenero" or people buying there ( share life experiences, laugh, learn ETC) ...while in the US you go fast do shopping and barely talk with someone and rush home to watch tv or spend time with the video game. Life tends to be boring, the adrenaline of the "risk" in Ar gives lifes another touch. Is real, is not a choice though.

You are generalizing. This is not always the case, not even in New York where it is more likely to be true. In the US I get lots of invitations to people's homes for a meal and I chat with people in places like the supermarket or the post office. Family life is more intense in Argentina but the divorce rate is very high too. One of the virtues of the US is a sense of optimism. That is being challenged at the moment. I admit that I have never seen as much disillusionment as now but there is little of the feeling of hopelessness that one senses in Argentina where people throw up their hands in a resigned way, thinking that they can't change the system, so why even bother trying?

cbphoto said:
I actually mean that ThankYou :)

It's the ME ME Me attitude..and NOTHING I CAN or SAY about anything to CHANGE
ANYTHING....

Unfortunately quite common :/

Well, it isn't necessarily the ME ME attitude. I'll speak for myself, but I guess other locals as me will feel identified. I don't think Argentina is the best country at all, but I don't feel it's the worst either. As a local, while reading the expat comments about the lack of variety of goods here, I acknowledge the advantage that represents, but I don't think it's the most most important thing in the world. And as regards safety... I still feel that Argentina is relatively safe in general. Though it's true most Argentines are a bit "overparanoid" about safety issues, this doesn't necessarily mean that the level of insecurity is as high. What I mean is people here overreact and are more afraid than Americans would be in the same situation.

BTW, having acknowledged that, I still see people going out at night in many barrios porteños, walking in the streets and having fun late at night, not only in Recoleta and Palermo Soho, but also in other barrios near the periphery, and they don't seem to be so worried about being robbed or mugged. But then again, it's just my experience...

This thread pretty much touches on everything I would have to say about the subject, but as an open forum I'll throw in my two cents anyway.

Optimism and complaining:
Re:
the feeling of hopelessness that one senses in Argentina where people throw up their hands in a resigned way, thinking that they can't change the system, so why even bother trying?
I think that it's a strange duality, really.
In the U.S., I think people complain more, but this is how we get things DONE. (Not ALWAYS!) Noticing what is lacking and what could be better are the first step to improving things.
Porteños also complain but as noted, just accept that it's the way it is. The system is corrupt and accepts bribes. So they bribe. The system is corrupt and you can't invest money in anything safely, so they don't.

I do a fair amount of complaining but sometimes it helps, people give advice.
"I hate all the yogurt here, it's all full of crap, the only 'natural' flavor contains gelatine and chemical preservatives." (this is a real complaint of mine)
Response from lady in Dietetica: "I just make my own yogurt."
Bingo! Complaint -> advice ->solution.

Food:
Actually, I won't even get into my food-culture comparisons here. Maybe it deserves its own thread (or book). Let's put it this way: I miss Whole Foods. And not because I'm fat, actually exactly because I like healthy options.
And if anyone wants some really extensive advice on the dieteticas in Recoleta and Palermo, including where you can or can't get soy milk, spirulina, fake meat products, real yogurt, gomasio, wheat berries, organic tea, etc., let me know. I didn't give up at the lack of Whole Foods, it just makes life more difficult in that area.

Friendliness
I'm from New York. On my recent trip back after over a year in BA I really appreciated being the only one in a shop and not having to explain my life story to the clerk. That said, it's an aspect of Argentine culture that can be nice sometimes.

Security
I have a similar reverse culture shock story to someone in the thread. My first morning in New York I went out to breakfast, and left my camera on the table while I was eating. Just let it sit there. Couldn't get over the fact that I didn't have to hide it immediately after each shot. It was kind of glorious and kind of frightening.
Culturally, they are paranoid here but you have to be. They're traumatized, basically, as a nation. But it definitely does NOT HELP that all they ever show on the news is violence. Never anything good that happened, just villas and violent crimes.

Money and banks
-Agree that being able to use large bills with no hassle is nice
-That and Cash Back. Actually cash back is great.
-Also not having lines at ATMs, and it being unimaginable that the ATM would have no money
-AND, I was on my phone in the bank in New York. On the PHONE. Security guard said nothing. Why? Because obviously, why wouldn't you be allowed to use your phone in the bank.... (I am actually aware of why this is not the case in BA)

Consumerism
We're all victims of that. In the US and in Argentina. I see poor people with their fake designer clothes and women buying the latest fill-in-the-blank, the rich San Isidro kids with their white polo jackets and expensive perfume.
The problem is consumerism is like a drug and/or a religion, addictive and a sedative for the masses. It's just that the people here don't have as much cash lying around (or credit available) to burn. They would, if they could.

Spanish
In the US I really had to get a grip on not saying "gracias" to service workers. Actually sometimes it worked out okay. Also, I didn't speak Spanish before I came to BA, so being in New York it's like a third of the population became comprehensible. Like Sci-Fi where you have the gift of tongues. Cool.

;)
No need for anyone to get upset in these threads, we're all just sharing our thoughts.

Rease said:
I just arrived in the US yesterday after spending 14 months in Argentina. While my life in Buenos Aires does involve a lot of Spanish speaking and culture immersion, I still speak English a lot and communicate with other expats. However, I am feeling a bit culture shocked and out of it since my arrival. I keep answering people in Spanish and I feel like an alien in stores, marvelling at the items I had forgotten existed or prices on things.

Two events stuck out in my mind as pros and cons that made me laugh.

1. In the airport I was able to buy a tube of toothpaste with a $100 USD bill and the cashier did not even hesitate to give me change. Amazing.
2. I asked for diet coke on the plane and was so confused at why it tasted funny. I forgot about the corn syrup in the States and I missed cane sugar coca lite!

What kind of weird culture shock moments have you had when going home?

I had a similar experience in June when I spent a month in the US. I found that for ordering food, I was often speaking Spanish. Luckily, for much of that, it wasn't a problem since so many of the staff in the cities I was in (SF, LA, NY) speak the language primarily.

When it came to costs, I found things quite similar, not too much sticker shock. In the end though, I spend about $800 a month in BA for a furnished apartment...spent $2000 a month in Santa Monica, NY and other places I lived so the $250 a night hotels for a month were like a year of rent here in BA ;)

There are gives and takes.

Walking through the forest in a snowstorm at minus 20-25 celtigrades - wonderful.
Paying 6 times as much for a taxi ride as it costs in Argentina.
Miss forests, lakes, forests, more lakes and forests.
A good meal in a restaurant costs 5 times as much as in Argentina.
Paying everything with a plastic card.
If you sit at a café table more than 15 minutes the waiter hates you.
So quiet at night that you think the world has disappeared.
Nobody says "se vaya bien" or similar when you leave a shop.
Being able to buy top quality tea.
First rate meat cost 6 times as much as in Argentina.
Being able to buy top quality clothes and shoes.
If you kiss a girl you don't know, she expects you to do it - you never risk prosecution for sexual harassment.
No beggars or vendors at outdoor tables.

chris said:
You are generalizing. This is not always the case, not even in New York where it is more likely to be true. In the US I get lots of invitations to people's homes for a meal and I chat with people in places like the supermarket or the post office. Family life is more intense in Argentina but the divorce rate is very high too. One of the virtues of the US is a sense of optimism. That is being challenged at the moment. I admit that I have never seen as much disillusionment as now but there is little of the feeling of hopelessness that one senses in Argentina where people throw up their hands in a resigned way, thinking that they can't change the system, so why even bother trying?

I guess it is more intense because we are forced to interact due to the expensive electronics in part and the way streets are laid out here. I totally street about the sense of resignation, I d wish that could be changed.
Another issue is the moral values in Argentina, they are lower than US's.

Medicine, it s cheaper here, as an example , a corticosteroid Clobetazol foam costed me 300 usd in Us few months ago, comparing i bought one here last week for 7 bucks

Lee said:
Really...it's as simple as that. I think not...so you don't think that a healthy discussion helps anything? No? Just accept things the way they are and question nothing?

I am sure you fit right in here with that thinking!

no, but i´m sure you do. i´ll thank you not to take what i said out of context. bitching and complaining are NOT what i call healthy discussion. maybe it is where you come from. why don´t you tone down your aggressiveness first if you want to have a healthy conversation.

stop focusing on the negative and what you don´t have. be grateful and appreciative of the things you do have. things can be as simple as that......if you want them to be.

if the negative is that great then make a change. bitching about it does nobody any good, especially the one doing the bitching.

now that´s a lot of bitching!

cruizes said:
Said beautifully by an Argentinian or should I say ignorantly?

what does it matter if i am argentine or american? i am truly amazed by the amount of aggressiveness and negativity on this forum.

if you continue to bitch and complain about argentina THEN LEAVE THE COUNTRY. it´s as simple as that. (reread this sentence a few times if it gets too confusing for you).

but you won´t leave. because that would be too much effort. it´s just easier for you to complain and wallow in your negativity.

Nothing wrong with complaining once in a while... In the meantime ofcourse let s take advantage of both worlds good things : )
Some people will leave whenever they feel like they have enough cultural experience, other option is the interior of the country, portenos are way different, believe me...

Back