Current fine and bank hours at EZE for overstaying Visa

No. A simple overstay is not a criminal act. When you pay the fine in advance you are indicating your intention to leave the country and migraciones is "giving" you ten days to do so.

If I understand correctly, if you pay the fine in advance and don't leave the country within the ten day period (even if it's because your flight was cancelled), you will have to pay a second time At some point after that, migrcones might issue a deportation order, but I have a "hunch" it won't be instantaneous. .

I never had an overstay, but if I did, I would only pay at the airport on the day of departure.

And I would only pay in cash (ARS) as opposed to a foreign credt card for obvious reason (unless I didn't have the cash on hand).

If I understand corectly, most "arrests" (aka detentions) and "deportations" by Argentine immigrations actually take place at the airport, but they involve arriving passengers who are denied entry.
Hi,
thanks for your answers.
However, if my flight is at 6am and the office to pay the overstay only opens at 7am, I guess I would lose the flight?!

This thread reminded me of an overstay situation by an Argentine in the USA many years ago. This tango dancer went to teach on a tourist visa in Florida and ignored the visa limit. When he left the country, he was banned for four or five years from entering because he overstayed the tourist visa limit. I know another man who overstayed in NYC and has never been permitted to enter the US again.

I shared information this week with tango friends about how easy it is to get a 90-day extension of their tourist visas at DNM in Retiro. That way one can rest assured that one is respecting the immigration law and will be welcomed upon return. The extension is a lot less than the overstay fee.

This thread reminded me of an overstay situation by an Argentine in the USA many years ago. This tango dancer went to teach on a tourist visa in Florida and ignored the visa limit. When he left the country, he was banned for four or five years from entering because he overstayed the tourist visa limit. I know another man who overstayed in NYC and has never been permitted to enter the US again.

I shared information this week with tango friends about how easy it is to get a 90-day extension of their tourist visas at DNM in Retiro. That way one can rest assured that one is respecting the immigration law and will be welcomed upon return. The extension is a lot less than the overstay fee.
Indeed. I wouldn't know of another country which has so lax, easy-going rules for tourists as Argentina.

Hi,
thanks for your answers.
However, if my flight is at 6am and the office to pay the overstay only opens at 7am, I guess I would lose the flight?!
Perhaps not.

Unless something has changed since previous posts indicated, you can leave the country without paying the fine and then pay it online later, but I imagine that it will be "complicated" to get the boarding pass at check in if you haven't paid the fine and passing through migraciones on the way to the gate could be "problematic" as well.

The ultimate "catch" is that if the fee is not paid before you try to renter, you will not be allowed into Argentina and you will not be able to pay the fine at the airport.

Last edited:
Perhaps not.

Unless something has changed since previous posts indicated, you can leave the country without paying the fine and then pay it online later, but I imagine that it will be "complicated" to get the boarding pass at check in if you haven't paid the fine and passing through migraciones on the way to the gate could be "problematic" as well.
I would define "problematic" as a bit delayed...

There are immigration laws in Argentina. People ignore them.
Ironically, expats continue to make "visa runs" to Colonia to avoid overstaying their 90 day tourist permit because they think it keeps them "legal" or "legit" with migraciones, unaware that "abuse" of the tourist visa is a "crime" that can be grounds to prevent thier reentry while overstaying the tourist permit is not actually considered a crime, though it could be grounds for deportation.

Based on the fact that an Argentine lawyer who specializes in citizenship for extranjeros has repeatedly advised those who ask the question about the visa runs to "overstay" instead of leaving the country to get a new tourist permit, I can see why some of them do so.

I never made a visa run or had an overstay and I have lived in Argentina for sixteen and a half years When I first arrived, I was under the impression that leaving the country to get a new 90 day visa what not only acceptable, but advisable (based on info from other websites).

And, thinking like an American (US citizen), I thought (as some still do), tha having a "current" (aka valid) 90 day "tourist permit" was preferable to overstaying one.

PS: I have always been surprised that the decision to allow or deny entry was (and still is) up to the individual border agent's whim of the moment.

Last edited:
The current fine (as of late July at least) is $12.500 pesos and the bank at EZE is open 24/7.

You can also pay onine up to ten days in advance:

You must register to pay onlne and there is an option for an English version to register and make the payment.
Hi Steve can you please clarify? Did anyone use the link to pay in advance? I went to the link. It seems online payment system is only for those who already left without paying. "FOREIGNERS WHO ARE OUTSIDE THE NATIONAL TERRITORY WITH A DEBT NOTIFICATION FORM:"

Hi Steve can you please clarify? Did anyone use the link to pay in advance? I went to the link. It seems online payment system is only for those who already left without paying. "FOREIGNERS WHO ARE OUTSIDE THE NATIONAL TERRITORY WITH A DEBT NOTIFICATION FORM:"
Hi Frank, It looks like the online form for is only for those who left without paying an outstanding debt and I don't know of any other

Back