Current Rules On Plane Tickets?

rabble

Registered
Hey folks,

I've got an Uruguayan cedula, but am going to be living in BA for 2014 because of some work things and i'm trying to figure live in Uruguay's big crazy neighbor. My plan is just to keep as much of my financial and legal life in the little country as possible. My spouse is technically argentine, she was born there but hasn't lived there since she was 3 and none of here documents are up to date. I wasn't planning on getting a DNI, between having uruguayan residency and coming and going, it didn't seem to be needed.

I'm looking at having to fly a bunch, internationally from EZE to Chile, Brazil, the US, and Europe. Are non-residents allowed to buy tickets in pesos in cash? With the ever growing gap between the blue dollar and the official pesos.

Are non-residents allowed to buy plane tickets in pesos in cash? What are the rules on getting a debit card and crazy tax implications of my media naranja getting a bank account and depositing cash in it? Does that create crazy tax headaches?

What's this about some separate set of ticket prices for residents and foreigners? Is that enforced?

thanks.

We are about to look into this. We will let you know what we find. Does anybody on the list have any suggestions? We want to had to Salta but the cost seems rather high.

In short non-residents must buy Tickets with a Foreign Credit Card or Foreign currency.
your wife with valid DNI can buy tickets with Argentine pesos, she can also open a bank account if she qualifies with all the requirements that vary from Bank to bank, DNI, payslip, income level, etc, etc,

3 things.

Gap between "dolar tarjeta" and the blue rate is too small to even bother.

Even if your wife decided to get a card it would only allow her to buy tickets for herself. Not for you.

Maybe there's some exception for mercosur residents, but only foreigners with Argentine dni get bank accounts. In any esse... go bace to the first point.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and with your overall Argentine endeavors.

The above points are not necessarily accurate.

The 35% tax is assessed against the base fare and some, but not all, of the taxes. The difference often comes to between 500 and a thousand pesos.

The other points would also likely not be correct in the OP's circumstances.

The 35% tax is assessed against the base fare and some, but not all, of the taxes.
(the above quote has been edited for brevity)

OMFG. There is a tax on the tax?

That's just wrong.

When you are buying a ticket, a BIG chunk of the cost is actually taxes and other surcharges. These days, thankfully, the fare shown on most websites is the final price, per a rule passed by the US Department of Transportation in 2011 that came into effect in early 2012 (details here). Point being, on a $1400 international fare, the base fare can easily be just over $900, the rest being taxes/surcharges.

So when a ticket is issued in this country, the 35% the Arg. gov't takes does not apply to all taxes. If, though, you buy the ticket in dollars but charge it to an Argentine CC, you'd be paying 35% on every penny paid.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]So when a ticket is issued in this country, the 35% the Arg. gov't takes does not apply to all taxes. If, though, you buy the ticket in dollars but charge it to an Argentine CC, you'd be paying 35% on every penny paid.

That's what I meant when I said the difference wouldn't be worthwhile[/background]

Back