Curry Night? Anyone?

cakeandbake

Registered
Hi expats.

I am a 27 year old British woman with an Argentine boyfriend who comes out in hives if he gets within 50ft of a bit of spice or pepper. The lack of spicy food in my life makes me a little crazy and had a question...

Would anyone be interested in having a curry night, meeting up once a month of something to go and satisfy the curry craving?

And my second question is - can anyone recommend places to buy good Indian/curry spices for cooking, good spicy green chillies etc... or if this is just wishful thinking, then a good Indian restaurant?

I've heard about Tandoor in Barrio Norte but if this is going to be a regular thing then I wouldn't think we would want to go to the same place every time...

Thoughts?

And thanks in advance,

A deprived curry lover!

It's wishful thinking. You'll be better off making your own (the only way I survived 7 years in Argentina). You can find various chilis and peppers in Barrio Chino and the occasional verdu run by someone from Peru or Bolivia.

Some on here will tell you that Gibraltar/Bangalore have what you are searching for, but the times I ate at either one, it just seemed badly prepared compared to what I could produce at home.

Tandoor was OK, haven't eaten there in a couple of years. If I remember the portions were a little small for the price, but reasonably spicy food.

There's a place called Bengal at Esmeralda and Juncal that had a really good tasting curry, though not really terribly spicy, but it was very well made. you could probably ask them to spice it up a bit. I thought there food was pretty good.

For buying the foreign spices you should be able to find them at various markets in Barrio Chino - http://www.barriochi....php/comollegar

I've been craving Indian since I moved here. Let's hope this thread goes somewhere.

Haha what do you think we eat at the monthly book club pot luck meetings?! Home made curries and spicy chicken dishes....the best way to find curry in BSAS is in your kitchen. And good quality curry powder is actually pretty easy to find.

I would be up for this monthly. Let's get an initial event planned.

Yes, when I crave authentic, spicy Indian food, I just make it myself. I've got some great garam masala and homegrown curry leaves from the US and other various spices from a recent trip to India if anyone's interested in putting together a seriously spicy curry dinner night.

Hi OP, you should come round to my place ; I have a variety of powdered spice mixes (purchased here and abroad), pre-fab curry pastes purchased here, and peppers store bought and growing in the garden. I can give you tips and tricks and tell you where to find what, and also make you curry!! PM me if you want to arrange something.

As Harry Dunn woud say ... "You're in Luck...!!!"
The Festival of India began yesterday at the Centro Cultural Borges.

http://www.ccborges.org.ar/index2.htm

http://www.vuenosair...os-aires/113550

I happened to be walking by Viamonte street and went in for a look.
The festival goes through till the 24th.
There's a small booth that sells condiments & snacks but no actual food.
Bought a 65 gram bottle of Curry ($25 pesos).

Back