Customs and Ezeiza

orwellian

Registered
Does anyone know the value the shipment has to be to, or what the rules are, so the package will not get hold up by customs at Ezeiza?

The way custom knows the amount to charge you is that they look on the mandatory invoice the forwarder makes the sender create. In Spain they won't tax you (aka steal your money) or hold the package if it's below 30 euros. There is bound to be some similar rule here. Anyone have any practical experience of this?

My experience is it's just luck...or bad luck. I had a package of brochures, value zero, held up for 2 months....but another package, via Fedex, with chocolates valued at usd100, that got right through.

rentaplus said:
My experience is it's just luck...or bad luck. I had a package of brochures, value zero, held up for 2 months....but another package, via Fedex, with chocolates valued at usd100, that got right through.

What happened with the brochures? Did you go and get it? If so, what did you have to pay for it?

I eventually hired a despachante de aduana, and, $653 pesos later, I had my box of 30 brochures.

There is no rhyme or reason in how they do it....I was having small boxes shipped 3 times a year or so...things I couldn't purchase here. Always used USPO Express Mail International...marked the items as "gifts"....low value...and it came right to the door...no duty at all. Then it shifted and the box still came to the house...but now with duty on it...usually had to pay between 100 & 200 pesos for a box that was valued under 100 dollars! I didn't care as at least it came to the house and the boxes were never opened.

Just received a package from the U.S. It was USPS (Priority Mail United States Postal Service). And it arrived in Retiro and not Ezeiza. The contents was listed as "other" and had a value of 26 USD.
The woman asked me what was in the package, I said I didn't know. Then she gave it to me and told me I didn't have to pay.
I asked why it it arrived in Retiro and not Ezeiza, to which she told me that if it sent by state and not private post, it would end up in Retiro. Also on the slip it said that it costs 2 pesos per day to keep it there, which is a lot less than Ezeiza (10 USD per day). The whole process was also faster and less disorganized than at Ezeiza.

Could be good to know. Retiro is a lot closer than Ezeiza.

@orwellian

If you ever use private couriers like FedEx or DHL you'll always end up paying customs fees (VAT, Import Tariffs, and Couriers exaggerate and lame document handling costs).

My recommendation USPS from USA. You should always use standard postal services and stay away from couriers. The downside is that it may occur some time that your packages get lost... or you may need to cash extra some customs officer in order to guarantee the you shipment.

If shipping from China you should find the USPS equivalent that has an arrangement with Correo Argentino. I don't remember right know.

Stay away from companies like Amazon that compulsively select the shipment method without asking.

VERY IMPORTANT:
COURIER != STANDARD POSTAL SERVICE

something i forgot:

Landing costs can be estimated like this:

CARGO FOB VALUE + Pickup + SHIPPING COSTS + INSURANCE = BASE COST
YOU WILL PAY: X% of BASE COST BEEING THIS the IMPORT TARIFF i may vary from 0% to 35% in most cases.

TO THAT YOU SHOULD ADD: VAT: 21% of BASE COST + ADITTIONAL VAT 10% of BASE COST. THEN ADD 3.5% IIBB TAX and FINALLY your customs agent fee (despachante) usually 2% FOB value or a minimum of $200 (pesos).

Does anybody know how it can work the most convenient way the other way around?
Wanna send sth to Germany, but the couriers (DHL, UPS etc) charge ridiculous amounts for it. A parcel of 10kgs sent from Germany to "worldwide" is 50 Euros (+/- 75 USD). Here they charge between 250 USD to 350 USD to send it there. Correo Argentina is for 10kgs 450 Pesos, which would be ok, but one has to go to Retiro with all the stuff and show everything and clothes have to be decontaminated! Never heard that before...

Back