danger in Recoleta/Barrio Norte

Zenobia

Registered
Just about every day, I hear from my porteña housemate about new rape and assault cases happening in these areas. I've even seen pictures of the suspected "violador serial" taped on people's doors. So, from what I understand, women should be especially careful what with this dangerous suspect on the loose.
So, if some strange man approaches you at the front door of your building and pretends that he lives there too, or says he lost his keys, don't let him in. And if there is some unfamiliar person in the elevator, don't get in. My experience is that sometimes, I see a shady person lurking near my building, and in that case, I just walk around the block or find some place to go. These shady guys don't stick around too long.

The last I heard, of the 10 accusations, only two were reported to police and one of these was an actual rape. I don't want to diminish what has happened to anyone here but I think certain idiosyncrasies of the good citizens of Recoleta in combination with the current media induced 'inseguridad' might account for a lot of this - really, normal precautions apply, please don't go batting young men over the head with iron bars.

There is nothing here that doesn't happen to women daily in Villa Lugano, Villa 1-11-14, Dock Sud etc - sans media hype and consequent 'psicosis colectiva' - oh sorry, I forgot, they aren't real people are they?

The media attention given to "el violador serial de Recoleta" is truely disproportionate. As Moxon said: things like these happen in every neighbourhood, but as soon as it happens to people in a neighbourhood with status, ESPECIALLY Barrio Norte and Zona Norte in the Conurbano, the media is all over it.

"The last I heard, of the 10 accusations, only two were reported to police and one of these was an actual rape.", Moxon

Isn't one "actual" rape, one too many in any neighborhood?

I'm surprised it took this long for me to be accused of condoning rape. I expect to be on the list of suspects any time now.

Isn't one "actual" rape, one too many in any neighborhood?

Yes, I think so - but, as I pointed out in my previous post, according to the media and many who live here that depends on where the rape took place and who the victim was. Coverage of any crimes here correlates fairly well with the property prices in the barrios they occur in. I was just asking for a little perspective on the situation; there is a political agenda at the moment for certain kneejerk laws to be passed here and the media are cooperating unreservedly. As I said before - according to current information - normal precautions should apply, not the kind of mania that is currently gripping some residents in Recoleta.

a friend the other day at 1pm crossing santa fe and uriburu had the tiniest chain ripped from her neck by a young man on a bicycle

big cities are full of lots of different types of people and as the economics get worse people will be more desparate

what this means is not to go and hide

what it means is to pay attention to your surroundings and dangling gold and cameras etc are only temptations do you need to carry all your credit cards etc in your wallet leave some at home keep a copy of your passport and other documents just in case

if someone approaches and makes you feel scared if they are an attacker they dont expect the unexpected you are just a nameless faceless person once in moscow i was alone late at night on a street and someone was coming along that i felt was trouble i started yelling and screaming and acting crazy before they got near me maybe that was un necessary and stupid but nothing happened when u disrupt the norm perhaps you deter also why not carry some pepper spray or an air horn or whistle and have a can in your house try not to walk alone late these are cautions for any city

if late take a cab maybe even just from the block or two before your home and ask them to wait until youre inside most already do

crime happens everywhere probably less in buenos aires and argentina then many other places however, that statistic doesnt matter if youre part of the statistic but please remember there are millions of people in this city while you can be a victim the odds are against it however, my total sympathy goes out to whomever was assaulted, and to those who now feel more afraid we all need to be watchful and helpful and sympathetic

Moxon you said you were condoning rape, not me. ;)

I understand the class politics behind your argument. I was just trying to point out that regardless of the neighborhood one rape is too many.

Furthermore the phrase “actual rape” could have been chosen a bit more tactfully. But that's just me.

diego7david said:
a friend the other day at 1pm crossing santa fe and uriburu had the tiniest chain ripped from her neck by a young man on a bicycle

This can happen anywhere in the city, but I have seen it (purse snatching) in Recoleta, too. On Monday I saw (and heard) two English speaking guys waltzing up Arenales near Uriburu. One was swinging a camera and actually walking in the street (traffic was light thanks to the holiday).

I thought to myself, "What a great way to lose a camera." Fortunately, no bicycle riders intent on theft were present at that moment.

I always keep back from the curb while waiting for the lights to change, and I am extra cautious whenever a young man on a bicycle asks for directions, or someone tries to stop me in the street to ask a question (also usually directions). If I know the street I can answer in castellano (in very few words) and if I don't, I just say "no se" with an apologetic shrug and move on....quickly.

Moxon said:
As I said before - according to current information - normal precautions should apply, not the kind of mania that is currently gripping some residents in Recoleta.

As a general rule, the affluent everywhere tend to be a bit more paranoid about crime, security and safety than everyone else, despite the fact that they are no more likely (indeed, because of seclusion and private security, often less likely) to be victims of crime. Don't quite understand the psychology of this ....

bigbadwolf said:
As a general rule, the affluent everywhere tend to be a bit more paranoid about crime, security and safety than everyone else, despite the fact that they are no more likely (indeed, because of seclusion and private security, often less likely) to be victims of crime. Don't quite understand the psychology of this ....

There really isn't any great level of private security or seclusion for those walking the sidewalks of Recoleta, especially later in the evening and into the night. It's logical for thieves to conclude that the loot will be better there and it's also logical for likely victims to have greater fear.

Back