danger in Recoleta/Barrio Norte

steveinbsas said:
There really isn't any great level of private security or seclusion for those walking the sidewalks of Recoleta, especially later in the evening and into the night. It's logical for thieves to conclude that the loot will be better there and it's also logical for likely victims to have greater fear.

But I believe Recoleta in general is more heavily policed than other areas. For what it's worth ....

Just to add my two cents on crime...and rape in particular. Now I'm not living in Buenos Aires but I plan to move there early next year. Since coming here I have been warned again...and again...and then again two days ago that I must be careful with the taxis! I was told its safer to take the bus than taxis at times, seems there have been quite a few cases of rape involving taxi drivers, this info coming from different Argentinians who have livin in BA all their lives. So...???

How do you make yourself safer then when taking a cab? Apart from silly things like pretending to be on your cell phone and reading out random street names...coughing and hacking like you have something viral...pretending you have tourettes syndrome....

I guess it all comes down to following common sense and instincts , never ignore your instincts girls !!!!

:::rain::: said:
Just to add my two cents on crime...and rape in particular. Now I'm not living in Buenos Aires but I plan to move there early next year. Since coming here I have been warned again...and again...and then again two days ago that I must be careful with the taxis! I was told its safer to take the bus than taxis at times, seems there have been quite a few cases of rape involving taxi drivers, this info coming from different Argentinians who have livin in BA all their lives. So...???

How do you make yourself safer then when taking a cab? Apart from silly things like pretending to be on your cell phone and reading out random street names...coughing and hacking like you have something viral...pretending you have tourettes syndrome....

I guess it all comes down to following common sense and instincts , never ignore your instincts girls !!!!

If you hail a taxi in the street make sure it's a RADIO TAXI and whenever possible, call for a taxi in advance---easiest when leaving your apartment but also a good idea when returning home late in the evening--or whenever you have time to wait a few minutes for a reliable and safe ride.

But I believe Recoleta in general is more heavily policed than other areas. For what it's worth ....

I would certainly think so, and residents here and in similar areas have more faith in the police hence a greater percentage of crimes are reported when compared to impoverished areas. A stroll down the friendlier streets of somewhere like Ciudad Oculta after dark should evaporate any lingering doubts as to which strata of society are most severely affected by violent crime in Buenos Aires.

Wealthier people simply have far more to lose hence there is a greater incentive to modify their behaviour in ways that make them feel more secure - this makes them among the first to succumb to any fear mongering.

steveinbsas said:
There really isn't any great level of private security or seclusion for those walking the sidewalks of Recoleta, especially later in the evening and into the night. It's logical for thieves to conclude that the loot will be better there and it's also logical for likely victims to have greater fear.
Steve is right....

Back