database comparing cost of living between 2 selected cities

Not sure how this is calculated...the prices sound about right...BUT does the % take into consideration that people that live in NY on average earn at least 5 times as many $'s?So even though most people I know that live in NY feel they have a very difficult standard of living..and compared to most major US cities they do... It is still a much much higher standard of living than in BsAs

I don't think that these websites calculate into their percentages average earnings at all...

Cost of living is only relative to money at hand/earned... 60% of the planet lives on 3$ a day... but their cost of living is much less.

Their prices don't exactly seem accurate.

For example, according to that, monthly rent for a 2 bedroom furnished apartment in expat area of the city in Buenos Aires is $2358 pesos or 577 dollars:confused::eek:. Um..where? Renting a 2 BR furnished apt in one of the popular neighborhoods will cost you much closer to 1600 - 2000 USD.

us$577 in an "expat area" -- oooh can I have one of those please? You can't even get an unfurnished 2br in an "expat area" for that.

Maybe Parque Patricios, Barracas, San Cristobal are being considered "expat areas" these days? Though I'm not even sure you'd have any luck finding a 2br furnished at that price in those areas -- unfurnished with garantia, 2 year contract is doable at those prices in non-"expat" areas

cbphoto said:
Cost of living is only relative to money at hand/earned

....Probably why the website does not state anything about the "relative" cost of living. I agree with what you say, but also note that most expats are people from the first world with some sort of savings or outside income source. This is not the case for me, and I agree that the relative cost of living is higher here then it would be for me in my hometown of Minneapolis, but I would have to make a bet that it is still less here than in New York City.

For you who say that temporary apartments are higher, collaborate with the database! for it is from users like you that it gets its prices.

Interesting site. I ran it for the US city I know best, San Francisco.

While I think their rent numbers are too low for both cities, I think they have the ratio correct for low end rentals but higher end rentals are not as far apart.

Remember, they're doing the comparison for expats who come here for jobs and continue to be paid in foreign currencies.

I know I can live for 50% less in Baries on my US income than I can in SF. And i think NYC is more expensive than SF. And london is more than NYC. These are cities many on this board insist Baires is as expensive as.

For me in comparison to SF, cost of housing is about half, my restaurant checks are half for similar quality. Lunch on the run-- 2 empanadas, cost one- fifth of a SF sandwich. We save big money on wine. A housekeeper costs one- fifth of the hourly rate in SF. Fruits, veggies, meat other than chicken are one-quarter to half.

So a few things cost more, but the overall cost of living is significantly less.

jb5 said:
For me in comparison to SF, cost of housing is about half, my restaurant checks are half for similar quality. Lunch on the run-- 2 empanadas, cost one- fifth of a SF sandwich. We save big money on wine. A housekeeper costs one- fifth of the hourly rate in SF. Fruits, veggies, meat other than chicken are one-quarter to half.

Comparing to seattle my rent is less. House keeper is basically free next to the cost back home. Restaurant checks here are the same for me. Good sandwich for lunch on the run 35 pesos, back home 7 dollars so 25% more here. Wine much more expensive here. Agree on the groceries being cheaper overall, completely disagree on the 1/4 - 1/2 numbers, for me its more like 3/4 - 4/5.

Overall cost of living is less, agreed. Significantly so, probably.

I think that this conversation is very interesting. One must also consider "quality of life" issues in these other cities compared to here--proximity to other places of interest, cost of travel between, access to nature, quality overall. Personally, I think the quality of life to be found here in BA is generally lower than these comparison cities, but that's certainly debatable, too. I know I certainly have a love/hate relationship with Buenos Aires.

Back