Dealing with Homesickness

Lauren23 said:
...but it's just that above all, it's just so daunting to think that I'm going to have to be so far away from them again, and I won't know for how long.
This is my favorite part about living in Buenos Aires. Knowing that I don't have to go back home several times a year. I moved a 22-24 hour's drive away from home after college, but that wasn't far enough. Now I'm on another continent and even then it seems like sometimes I'm too close.

Just as many things in English are flipped in Spanish and a "de" is thrown in the middle, when you talk about being:

"Home sick"

I think...

"Sick [of] home"

I agree with the suggestions for maintaining contact with people back home. I also think its critical to establish and maintain a network of friends down here. Depending upon your personality you need to get out of the house and away from the office once, twice, or maybe 10 times per week to spend some time with other people. It can be hard, especially if you aren't fluent in Castellano, but I think you must put in the effort.

Hepdoll makes some excellent suggestions, as does kurt above. If I may add just one simple but powerful idea from positive psychology for when you are back in BA:
Every night take 15 Try to write about at least "three good things." It could be anything from doing some great writing, to cofee with a local friend to a call from back home. Taking time to journal about the good things makes us notice even more good things, and the ambivalence is replaced by positivity.

Good luck, Lauren!

Back