Dealing with the Comments

I'd like to hear about the threatening experiences you've had with men looking for fights. This really surprises me.

Thanks again for responding to my post. I have lived in Buenos Aires for a couple years now, I'd like to think that I have a thick skin and I try to not pay attention at all to these things that happen and comments men make. But after awhile these things get old, as does my silence and that's why I opened up this discussion (mainly to ask the women, although I appreciate male opinion on the topic as well). As for being with my husband on the street, the situation is better when we're together, but by no means does it stop. Men still shout things out and make comments when we are clearly together. It is so offensive, and is hard to just be like, "Oh, that didn't just happen" and la-de-da our way on.
PS: I live in centro....have you all noticed the "paz, respeto, convivencia (or something like that)" signs all over? It seems to me that people are more tense than usual....more acts of violence, more harrassment, etc.

I am a local female, my best advice is: ignore them, do not stop, do not look scared, do not smile. These guys like to see women blush or get scared, that is the fun for them... ( retards ) but they are basically harmless. I still remember this girl I knew, some guys told her the ¨the chuparia toda ¨she turns her head, looks at them in the eye, and told them ¨Veni y chupame aca la p**** que te p****. They vanished!!!!!nik

I'm so glad to see someone open a discussion on this topic. I've been here for about two and a half years and I still feel so uncomfortable when I hear those comments on the street.
I feel so impotent because I want to say something back but I don't because I don't want to attract further attention with my accent. I guess you just have to suck it up and keep on walking. The one time I did say something is when a street kid pinched me on the behind. I instantly blurted out something in English (natural reaction) and he laughed and ran away.

Back