Defining Argentina

pericles said:
Anything bagging Argentinians and the country is well said in your opinion.:rolleyes:
Perci, what is your problem? I felt that the post was realistic. Not banging Argentina, just realistic. Sometimes you need to remove the rose colored glasses and see things as they are, not how you wish they were. My association with Argentina goes back to 1987 and all the way forward so I think maybe I've seen both sides, good and not so good.

ssr said:
the idea that people in developed countries are sacrificing relationships with family or friends in exchange for gadgets or whatever is a bit silly.

The idea sounds silly to me, too, but it does happen. Witness the many families with latchkey kids, and with both parents working full-time to pay for a luxurious house, a fancy car, or the latest plasma TV.

While volunteering as a teacher's aide at my daughter's public school I met quite a few parents like that. They were so busy making money that it was almost impossible to get them to come in for PT conferences.

As for the rest of your post, I do agree that close families can sometimes be asphyxiating. But in a country like Argentina, without working institutions, they are essential.

Perhaps you are all too young to have lost someone you love, but when that happens, families are invaluable. They close ranks and take care of all the horrible practical details, console the bereaved, and keep them company sometimes for months at a time, until they recover.

ghost said:
Perci, what is your problem? I felt that the post was realistic. Not banging Argentina, just realistic. Sometimes you need to remove the rose colored glasses and see things as they are, not how you wish they were. My association with Argentina goes back to 1987 and all the way forward so I think maybe I've seen both sides, good and not so good.

Ghost my name aint Perci number one.. Your realism is your own and not mine and others. I enjoy my life here as do many other members who I met last night . They were a gracious lot and all were very positive about living here.

This is the reality for most expats in Buenos Aires I am sure.:)

pericles said:
Ghost my name aint Perci number one.. Your realism is your own and not mine and others. I enjoy my life here as do many other members who I met last night . They were a gracious lot and all were very positive about living here.

This is the reality for most expats in Buenos Aires I am sure.:)
You are pretty judgemental as to weather or not one likes AR/Enjoys AR based on a very few interactions on this forum. Enjoying life here is one thing. Seeing the reality of the day to Argentina is absolutely another issue. One can do both in the same time and in the same space. [well, maybe some can and some on this very forum do]

Dear Ghost...Sir.

Reading some of your post my curiosity went a little further and in need to have a look your more recent replies on this forum and by doing this I found surprise, surprise that almost all your posts are consistently on a negative note in respect to this country, their society, their customs, their food, the coffee, pizza, bread etc, etc, the way of life, the legal practices or otherwise, as a whole it seems to me that you despise this society and this country with some kind of irreconcilable and visceral hate for everything with an Argentine tag on it and I wonder why, bad experiences maybe everyone have those in more or less degree, these unfortunately are unavoidable and in some cases necessaries wherever you may reside.

And that irrefutable and founded perception of your posts is taking me to a second question which I wish to ask you with due respect, if all that you are mentioning with constant negativism here is true, and at least for you it seems to be....What The hell are you doing here in the first place, if living here represents for you the via crucis in your life....why to continue suffering?..Sir, you do not need to put up with all this crap, break the chains and run free, you can leave at any time you wish and find what for you will represent the perfect place, I can assure you nobody will miss you and by doing so you will let this poor, little and insignificant people living here (expats included) continue they miserable existence putting up with all the terrible and bad thing you keep mentioning of this crappy country and by doing so yourself and everyone who still and continue living here will be happy for ever after....simple.

This is not a perfect place, nowhere is, but people here somehow manage to go on with their lives without major dramas, it's a pacific place, no wars, no eminent invasion from any superpower, no conflicts with neighboring countries, problems yes there are a few like everywhere else but the future seems rosy and reassurance of an eminent progress is developing on the horizon the outcome of that is not yet assured but as we move forward never in many, many years this place on earth is having it that good I can only hope that the positive wave will continue and with all this the country and the people will have that progress and a better life for themselves which was denied for so many decades....touch wood.

araucarialanguages said:
i'm argentinian ..and i have to admit that i see my country as a 3rd world one

Che, have you been to New York, they don't speak english over there! and their airports are a disgrace! You wait in line to talk for ages to someone who doesn't understand the concept of transit passenger and is inherently suspicious that you want to enter as an illegal immigrant...despite the fact that they are virtually all immigrants. And look at the fiscal situation. huge unemployment, enormous debts, california owes more to bondholders than argentina and is failing to pay state employees.

I know where I would prefer to be!!!!!

" but not Japan, nowhere here is on par with Japan -- most places in Europe or the States are not on par with Japan, Japan is it's own level!"

Yes an extraordinary country where a restaurant can get a michilen star for cutting up fish rather than cooking it (a little sauce would have been nice). call argentine cuisine boring, go to Tokyo!!!!!

The Japanese metro system is overcrowded, so at every station there are uniformed, white gloved employees whose job is to squeeze passengers into cars so the doors can close.

Just like sitting on top of an overstuffed suitcase to close it... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsOsoDs1J6o

Attachments

• crowded-commuter-train.jpg
    crowded-commuter-train.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 1
Back