Democrats Abroad In Argentina For Bernie Sanders

Status
Not open for further replies.
isnt the TPP another (of many) geopolitical instrument for the US to control China's area of influence?

Janis -

Today in America, shamefully, we have more people in jail than any other country on earth. The United States is home to 4.4 percent of the world’s population, and 22 percent of its prisoners.

A big reason for this is because companies that profit from prisons have spent millions of dollars lobbying for laws that needlessly keep people behind bars for far too long.

It is our job, in my view, to recreate our criminal justice system. And I believe that we cannot do that as long as corporations are allowed to profit from mass incarceration.

Today this situation has gotten so out of hand that our prisoners are no longer people — they have simply become ​sources of profit as laborers who work for pennies an hour on behalf of major corporations. Keeping human beings in jail for long periods of time must no longer be an acceptable business model. Our focus should be on treating people with dignity and ensuring they have the resources they need to get back on their feet when they get out. I am glad that President Obama this week ordered the release of nearly 6,000 nonviolent offenders from federal prison, but there is much more to do.

I have recently introduced legislation that will put an end to for-profit prisons. My bill will bar federal, state, and local governments from contracting with private companies who manage prisons, jails, or detention facilities. And it will require Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) to improve their monitoring of detention facilities and eliminate private detention centers within 2 years.

Now I want to know if you’re willing to fight with me on this issue.

Sign my petition in support of my Justice is Not for Sale Act and say you’ve had enough of millionaires and billionaires profiting by keeping more and more Americans behind bars.

The private-for-profit prison racket is a $70 billion industry, and with so much money at stake, it’s not surprising they’ve corrupted our political process.

The industry has contributed millions of dollars to candidates in pursuit of laws that increase incarceration of nonviolent offenders — a practice that disproportionately impacts people of color in the United States. We must stop the practice of governments guaranteeing prison occupancy as part of deals with private corporations that incentivize states to keep prison cells filled. And we must stop the practice of private companies charging exorbitant rates for prisoners to contact their families by phone — sometimes up to several dollars per minute to talk with loved ones, and charging outrageous service fees to prisoners trying to access their money upon release. That kind of exploitation takes an already difficult family dynamic between husbands, wives, parents and children and strains it even further.

It is wrong to profit from the imprisonment of human beings and the suffering of their families and friends. It’s time to end this morally repugnant process, and along with it, the era of mass incarceration.

But my legislation goes even further. It also takes steps to reduce our bloated inmate population by reinstating the federal parole system so that officials can individually assess each prisoner’s risk and chance for rehabilitation. It ends the immigrant detention quota, which requires officials to hold a minimum of 34,000 people captive at any given time. And it would end the detention of immigrant families, many of whom are currently held in privately-owned facilities in Texas and Pennsylvania.

If we act, not only can we prevent thousands of lives from being destroyed, but we can save billions of taxpayer dollars.

This legislation enjoys a broad coalition of support on both sides of the aisle. And if we stand together and continue to bring attention to this issue, we can put a stop to the abomination of private prisons profiting from human suffering.

Thank you for standing with me.

In solidarity,

Bernie Sanders

The first Democratic Presidential Debate is Tuesday, October 13 at 21:30 hs BA time on CNN.com

Janis -

I want to talk with you about last night — but not what happened in Vegas. I want to talk about what happened across the country.

Our supporters organized more than 4,000 debate watch parties in homes, pubs, and public venues, and more than 100,000 people came together to watch the debate at these events.

In American politics, there are two primary sources of power: organized people and organized money. Last night proved that we have the people and that we’re well organized.

Now let's show them that we can compete with the billionaire class, too.

The debate watch parties that you organized — again, more than 4,000 of them — serve as the backbone of the organization that will turn out votes and help us win this election.

We heard from so many hosts of these events, and I want to share some of their stories with you, because I think that it speaks to this special moment we have together.

“I'm in a rural part of Texas that is overwhelmingly Republican. I met a kindred soul in this sea of red and we hit it off.” - Barbara in Texas

"I got a big hug from a gentleman who thought he was alone in our rural area and was so glad to see so many like minded people." - Marian in Missouri

"Awesome night last night. Bernie - words can't describe what a tremendous job he did." - Tom in Nebraska

“When Bernie mentioned the debate parties, we all clapped and cheered. It definitely made us each feel as though we are part of this movement. It was wonderful!” - Heidi in New Jersey

"What a great debate! I appreciated how the candidates kept it respectable and concentrated on the issues that face us. It was fun sitting with fellow Bernie supporters and cheering him on. There is a real buzz about him in North Iowa. I look forward to the next debate." - Steve in Iowa

“There are very few progressives in this rural corner of SC, we were all really happy to have found each other. Lively conversation, good food, cold beer....plans to watch the rest of the debates together.” - Barbara in South Carolina

"We had a wonderful, intergenerational group. Everyone was engaged in the night's discourse. We laughed; we cheered; it was amazing. I have a small apartment, and I set the capacity at 6 not including me and my roommates. Then people started calling, and my party grew to 8. Then 10. Then 12. Then 14 in my tiny apartment!" - Nikki in Missouri

"There were a large number of people in my apartment and no one really knew each other. Sven came to my first hosting party in August and last night brought a table to sign people up for volunteering based on precincts. So we are off and running.” - Diane in Colorado

When we started this campaign, a lot of folks wrote us off. Well, I think last night showed them wrong, and that we can win. We are indeed off and running.

Nothing significant in this country happens in terms of change unless a strong grassroots movement takes place. That’s what we’re building together, and people should not underestimate us.

Thank you for all you do.

In solidarity,

Bernie Sanders

Janis -

A Wall Street hedge fund manager named Martin Shkreli decided that he could make a lot of money off a life-saving drug for AIDS patients and other sick people by jacking the price from $13.50 per tablet to $750. Sick people be damned.

I started a congressional investigation into his price gouging. Shkreli promised to reduce the price, though he hasn't done so yet.

But Martin Shkreli was angry. He didn't like that I criticized him, so he tried to get a private meeting with me. And he thought the best way to do that was by donating $2,700 to our campaign.

That may be how other campaigns work. Not ours. We are taking Martin Shkreli's $2,700 donation and are giving it straight to an AIDS clinic in Washington, DC.

Now I’m turning to you again, Janis. As someone who has contributed to our campaign, you’re one of our most dedicated supporters. I don’t need money from people like Martin Shkreli and the billionaire class. I need you again.

The economic and political systems of this country are stacked against ordinary Americans. The rich get richer and use their wealth to buy elections and legislation.

Saying to Wall Street and the drug companies and the rest of the billionaire class, "please, do the right thing" while taking their money to fund your campaign is both naive and ultimately ineffective.

If we’re serious about creating jobs and health care for all, and addressing climate change and the needs of our children and the elderly, we must be serious about campaign finance reform.

So far we've funded our campaign with more than 1.3 million contributions of about $30 a piece. Small contributions of whatever regular folks can afford will win the fight against corporate greed and beat the influence of oligarchs like Martin Shkreli. Your contribution has made that possible.

When people come together, anything is possible. And together, we can take our country back from the billionaire class.

In solidarity,

Bernie Sanders

so he tried to get a private meeting with me. And he thought the best way to do that was by donating $2,700 to our campaign.

That may be how other campaigns work. Not ours. We are taking Martin Shkreli's $2,700 donation and are giving it straight to an AIDS clinic in Washington, DC.

Actually he did it to make news. That guy is either a marketing genius or a total moron but I'm going to go for genius. Just look at the other interviews the guy has done, insulting and name dropping. If any press is good press this guy has hit the jackpot.

Shame to see the Sanders is playing right into his hand buy spreading it out through out his email list.

edit: the hand he just broke http://gawker.com/did-dirtbag-pill-bro-martin-shkreli-photoshop-an-x-ray-1737268060

How "innocent" does Bernie think the Murikan public be?
Martin Shkreli s contribution is $100 short of only four anti aids tablets!

Is he just cunningly using stupid people like that woman who made the scene at the TP conference? It s on Russia Tv (!) Or does he get villains for pay from Craigslist?
_______
In any case Trumps team doesn t appear to think much higher of the public either.
_______

Hillary will obviously lose (is she still running?) Now she looks too honest and benevolent when compared to her challengers. She's a pussy
_____

Do you miss W now?

Dear Janis,

When you're an outsider, sometimes you have to try something a little crazy to break in. Yesterday I did something that I wasn't sure would work — I made an offer that for a limited time, a new contribution to our campaign would get you a copy of my book, Outsider in the White House.

I readily accept the label of "outsider." I was an outsider when I first ran for office in Vermont, and I certainly started as an outsider when I announced I would run for president.

But the majority of Americans today are outsiders, too. We are outsiders in the halls of power where decisions about our economy are made. And we will remain outsiders for as long as the political balance is tipped against most Americans.

About two decades ago, I wrote a book titled Outsider in the House about how we used the authority extended from my electoral victories to make changes for the better in the lives of people who don’t have many allies in positions of power. I've updated the book to talk a bit about our campaign for president and want to make sure as many people as possible can read it.

This book is important because my decision to run for president was inspired by the events outlined in it. If you really want to understand what this campaign is about and how we will leverage our political revolution to create real change after I’m elected, then you should read it.

Movements begin on the outside, and build pressure to change the inside. You're helping build this movement of outsiders — and your support can help put this outsider in the White House.

From one outsider to another, thank you.

In solidarity,

Bernie Sanders

I bought the Kindle for PC version on Amazon for $9.73

Can I run for president of the White House next? I'm an outsider too
Yours in power-hungry greed,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back