Demystifying american expats rants

I would think that upstate NY is great as a vacantion home. About a month in the summer and about a month in the winter. Seems perfect to me :)

I agree with you Lucas, we are soooo fortunate to have our US passports!

Although, I do think it's okay to complain a bit as long as we keep it in perspective and hopefully try to do something about the things we complain about.

I just want to quickly comment on the whole bidet thing:

I have asked 5 Argentinians, that I can remember specifically, about their bidet usage. None of them use them, nor do their families. I asked one who said, "occasionally, but not in a while."

So those are the numbers from my own private investigation, but maybe it's the crowd I roll with.

ghost - I am a consultant - global BPO ops - but our back office (and my family) happen to be in Buffalo :)

And who doesn't use the bidet??!! I think it should be a requirement in all bathrooms!

citygirl said:
And who doesn't use the bidet??!! I think it should be a requirement in all bathrooms!

Question for those who use bidets: do you use them in other people's homes? And, further, do you use them in the homes of people you don't know all that well (like, say, at a party at a friend of a friend's house)? Seems sort of gross to me to use a bidet that's either not yours or in your private hotel room but maybe I just don't understand the world of bidets.

Oh come ON BillsFan about the University! "Nicer buildings"? Please. University educations in the United States are too expensive, but they are top quality. Try to go into down town Manhattan and apply for a job with two identical resumes the only difference being one is educated in South America and one is educated in the United States at a good University. The US degree will get the job. The same would be said if the job you were applying at was here in Argentina, all else equal, the US degree gets the job...

I use bidets, always have, and no, I not only would consider it gross to use a bidet in someone else's home (unless possibly I was preparing to go to bed with them and knew them that well) but I would also consider it rude. Of course, I am careful what I use the toilet for too when I visit, unless it's an emergency. That's best done in your own home...

niceguypaddy said:
There are some great restaurants here in Buenos Aires but in general the food is mundane and run of the mill.
http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar is indispensable in finding the hidden gems.

I can highly recommend if you want a change of the usual...
Sarkis for Armenian (arrive early)
Azema (Asian French fusion)
Dehli Darbar (Great Indian)

Going to the States next week so I will save my opinion of real cuisine there until I get back, so far the best I have sampled is olive garden! Having not visited any culinary capitals though I will hold off of making sweeping statements ;)

I just love how you people go vacation in the US and eat at places like Olive Garden and McDonald's and think you know something about American food. You don't know anything about American food until you've spent, as we have, years living in a place. But when you go, DON'T EAT IN CHAIN RESTAURANTS. Gross...
Ask the locals for good restaurants, and don't ask fat people, they'll eat anything. Ask a foodie, someone who loves, talks about good food...

ssr said:
Question for those who use bidets: do you use them in other people's homes? And, further, do you use them in the homes of people you don't know all that well (like, say, at a party at a friend of a friend's house)? Seems sort of gross to me to use a bidet that's either not yours or in your private hotel room but maybe I just don't understand the world of bidets.
Yuuuuuuk no no and no! You only use the bidet at home or if you go to a hotel, not your friends´or other´s :)

Back