Demystifying american expats rants

AlexfromLA said:
Really ?

color me impressed. That was one of my favorite shows when I was a little kid. Well the Original Japanese version.

Chef Morimoto was the man.

yeah morimoto is the man and when they did the first competition in the USA and flay hopped on his cutting board at the end I knew he was a douche.

my buddy was also on a food tv show to become the next iron chef but lost in the first round when they had to cook with bugs and the judges claimed you couldn't taste the crickets in his food...

AlexfromLA said:
haha

thanks for rubbing it in man.

I would kill for a Carney's chili dog right about now. That used to be the late night spot.

The Houston's in the Valley isn't that good though. The one in Manhattan Beach is much better.

pretty much everything @ Carney's kicks ass..best fries ive ever had,burgers,dogs...etc,etc..

Hanging out outside on a summer night and seeing Jay Leno pull into the lot in one of his crazy cars was always fun.

Okay, I am from Western New York. I never actually lived right in the city of Buffalo but around that area. I have to say, I miss home a lot. There are some nice places there and some really good people. BUT Buffalo isn't exactly an awesome city. It's kind of depressing. It snows all the time. It's a sort of dying industrial city that has seen better days. All I am saying is maybe it's not the best place to judge of the US on.

laureltp said:
Okay, I am from Western New York. I never actually lived right in the city of Buffalo but around that area. I have to say, I miss home a lot. There are some nice places there and some really good people. BUT Buffalo isn't exactly an awesome city. It's kind of depressing. It snows all the time. It's a sort of dying industrial city that has seen better days. All I am saying is maybe it's not the best place to judge of the US on.

at least it's not cleveland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

laureltp said:
All I am saying is maybe it's not the best place to judge of the US on.

Hah! Of course not, it's Buffalo! Anyone judging the entirety of the massive United States of America based on a few days in Buffalo is a moron.

This thread (and I have to confess I haven't read much of it yet; lots of posts here) has left me wondering how many Americans posting here really know the US all that well. I'm from NYC originally, have lived in California and Florida, visited just about every large city in the US and spent some time in 30 states or so and I still don't feel like I know the US all that well.

I'm in the US now for work and trying to visit places I've never been and I'm getting blown away by places I'm seeing for the first time like Austin, TX. And even though I've been to New Orleans before, I just went back and, damn, that place is fantastic. And I'm in NYC now and there's just no city in the world that compares.

American expats who bash the US are just absolutely ridiculous to me. We Americans are so damn fortunate.

ssr said:
American expats who bash the US are just absolutely ridiculous to me. We Americans are so damn fortunate.

You are damn right on that !

us-animated.gif

Thank you for the suggestion Nikad. I had one today. It was actually very good. They had good pepperoni too, although I will ask for extra sauce next time.

It's definitely some good pizza and a great recommendation. I split a large pepperoni with a friend and it's ALL gone :D

nikad said:
Awwww, and you have only been here a couple of months! Well, if you like Domino´s / Pizza Hut style pepperoni pizza, you should be happy getting a pepperoni pan pizza here: ( it is very very similar, we are actually planning on pigging out on these next weekend ) http://puntopizza.com.ar/
Thank me later ;)

Billsfan is in Rochester, not Buffalo (although he did drive in to Buffalo - where I happen to be for work for a few days - and we met up for a coffee and stroll on Elmwood Ave). I actually think it's pretty funny to read the rants from the "other side" and I don't think he's judging the entire US based on his few days - maybe just pointing out all the posts that say "Arg is X" after spending a few weeks or month in Palermo might not be the most accurate description...

Anyway, I had a good giggle reading this. I've also been indulging in food for the last 10 days straight - pizza in NYC, bbq in North Carolina, wings and tacos food here in Buffalo (and some good old Labatts Blue) and will be heading to new england in a few days and will be gorging on lobster and oysters. Then back to NYC for more indian, dim sum and thai. Then back to BsAs

Feel free to hate me! ;)

AlexfromLA said:
Thank you for the suggestion Nikad. I had one today. It was actually very good. They had good pepperoni too, although I will ask for extra sauce next time.

It's definitely some good pizza and a great recommendation. I split a large pepperoni with a friend and it's ALL gone :D
Glad you liked it, I found the place by chance when I was living in the area, and found their pizza more similar to the ones I mentioned than to local pizza ;)

citygirl said:
Billsfan is in Rochester, not Buffalo (although he did drive in to Buffalo - where I happen to be for work for a few days - and we met up for a coffee and stroll on Elmwood Ave). I actually think it's pretty funny to read the rants from the "other side" and I don't think he's judging the entire US based on his few days - maybe just pointing out all the posts that say "Arg is X" after spending a few weeks or month in Palermo might not be the most accurate description...

Anyway, I had a good giggle reading this. I've also been indulging in food for the last 10 days straight - pizza in NYC, bbq in North Carolina, wings and tacos food here in Buffalo (and some good old Labatts Blue) and will be heading to new england in a few days and will be gorging on lobster and oysters. Then back to NYC for more indian, dim sum and thai. Then back to BsAs

Feel free to hate me! ;)
Well that clears up why he was having trouble shopping. Rochester is even smaller than Buff.
OK what type of work takes a girl from BA to Buffalo. [stange connection]

Back