Demystifying american expats rants

When it comes to steaks I personally think the best Argentinian style steakhouse is El Mirasol.

hands down. The service and the food quality are amazing. It is really always a pleasure to have a meal there.

I am sure there are many other places and opinions differ, but from what I have tried, this is the best.

nikad said:
Several landed in the country, but weren´t profitable apparently, such as KFC, Pizza Hut, Subway, Fuddrucker´s, Baskin and Robbins, Dunkin Donuts, Schlotzsky´s Deli, Wendy´s

I think that was in the 1-1. Economic make-up is now different(more people with some spending power) and if you see how succesfull Mac, BK are there should be room for more. Even in countries like Chile and Brasil that's the case so it should be in BA as well

As for Argentines not liking fast food that's just bogus, many people like some don't like everywhere else. Junk food is just much more a luxury in BA because for the average Argentine it's expensive and it's cheap in the first world

I forgot Subway, I know the place near Pacifico and they seem to do okay

qwerty said:
I think that was in the 1-1. Economic make-up is now different(more people with some spending power) and if you see how succesfull Mac, BK are there should be room for more. Even in countries like Chile and Brasil that's the case so it should be in BA as well

As for Argentines not liking fast food that's just bogus, many people like some don't like everywhere else. Junk food is just much more a luxury in BA because for the average Argentine it's expensive and it's cheap in the first world

I forgot Subway, I know the place near Pacifico and they seem to do okay
Half of these chains arrived in the 80s before the 1-1, I for one am never lucky as everytime there is a new product that I like it never works, lol, just like Cherry Coke, Wendy´s chilli, Fuddrucker´s was my favorite place for hamburgers... **sigh**

That reminds me. Does anyone know where to get decent donuts in Buenos Aires ?

Anyone ?

wait, Fuddruckers used to be here ???

They make amazing burgers. My mouth is watering right now. It's time for lunch.

nikad said:
Half of these chains arrived in the 80s before the 1-1, I for one am never lucky as everytime there is a new product that I like it never works, lol, just like Cherry Coke, Wendy´s chilli, Fuddrucker´s was my favorite place for hamburgers... **sigh**

89-90 were great years for business was it?

I know for a fact there is a market for more fast-food joints, even if you think different. You are Argentine afterall and happy with the pizza-asado-pasta routine

There is also a big expat crowd now that would give a nice base for every company that opens now. I am sure that a place like Taco-bell or so would quickly run CBC out of business

I really don't think that Argentina needs any more/new fast-food restaurants... any country actually. What it really needs is much more demand for innovation/variety. Before this can truly happen.. the culture needs to open up to new tastes/ideas.

I'm new to this site and fairly overwhelmed at the amount of venom. This thread seemed like a fun essay, not a deliberate attempt to put anyone down.
Here is my take:

Food in both countries is excellent, find what you like and enjoy! I live in NYC so there is a lot of restaurant diversity here. There is in BsAs as well but not quite as much. I will admit I'm not a fan of the Argentine pizza.

I prefer Argentine steak and meats. Here in the states we have to shop organic to get meat that is raised on a similar diet. The last time I was in BsAs I was hearing rumors that Argentina may switch to corn based food for their cattle, I hope that isn't the case. I've eaten at some fantastic places in the states but I haven't had blood sausage or sweetbreads as good as my father-in-laws is BsAs. If I could get his butcher to move to the states I would.

I still haven't seen a used bidet in BsAs.

The streets in NYC are a little cleaner than BsAs. It depends on the budget for the city's sanitation department so I'm sure the nyc streets will be dirtier this year. The one thing I consider a myth about BsAs is the dog crap. I still haven't run into the piles I always hear about. As far as I can tell it's no different than anywhere else. I hope that experience continues for me.

I'll be going back down to BsAs in November and I'm looking forward to it.

AlexfromLA said:
That reminds me. Does anyone know where to get decent donuts in Buenos Aires ?

Anyone ?

The bakeries inside of the Walmart stores have good donuts, especially when they are fresh.

cbphoto said:
I really dont think that Argentina needs any more/new fast-food restaurants... What it really needs is much more innovation/variety. Before this can truly happen.. the culture needs to open up to new tastes/ideas.

You will never get a big fan base of Argentine for ideas like that, they are close minded and happy with the pizza-pasta-asado routine.

If you open up a place like that your clientele must be mostly expat

Back