Demystifying american expats rants

billsfan said:
You might be right. But we eat them with guilt.
I sometimes cry after eating at BK and then pray 2 avemarías.
Silly you! It is all the chemicals and sugar in those patties what gives you these depression symptoms ( watch Super size me )

nikad said:
Silly you! It is all the chemicals and sugar in those patties what gives you these depression symptoms ( watch Super size me )
haha,

thats actually true.

Yet they'll eat a choripan without batting an eyelash lol.

spare me the elitist perspective. They are stuck eating the same food they were eating 100 years ago. Probably because half of them were around 100 years ago and can't think of anything else. Luckily it is the " kids " who are the future of this country ( and the world ) and the ones who will dream up wonderful things their stuffy imagination starved parents could never fathom.

Technology fuels the world, and the funny thing, most of that innovation is being fueled by kids. It really is amazing, thought provoking and encouraging. It is a great time in history to be young. Just Saying.

And btw. Have you seen some of the nasty stuff that goes on parillas ?

fine dining my ass. It's country food.
nikad said:
Argentinians that are into fine dining, are foodies, etc consider burgers as kids food, no matter how good a burger can be, they will always consider it crappy stuff. When going to a parrilla, they will never order a burger...sorry!

AlexfromLA said:
Yet they'll eat a choripan without batting an eyelash lol.

spare me the elitist perspective. Luckily it is the " kids " who are the future of this country ( and the world ) and the ones who will dream up wonderful things their stuffy imagination starved parents could never fathom.

And btw. Have you seen some of the nasty stuff that goes on parillas ?

fine dining my ass. It's country food.

Yep, some parrillas, are nasty, but any parrilla nastiness cannot hurt you more than any nasty processed stuff.

I am all for having a large variety of food and cuisine, actually I eat very little beef ( 5-6 times a month ).

What I meant is that if you sit for example a couple of Argentinians at Kansas restaurant, they will not order a burger most likely ( doesn´t matter how good the burger is ), they will chose ribs, tuna, etc.

Lol, and I do not consider parrillada as fine dining for the record. Call it family food, country style food, but it is not fine dining, just like burgers aren´t either ;)

nikad said:
Well, it might not be what everybody likes to eat, but http://subwayargentina.com/about/ the have 4 stores in the city. I used to eat there once a week many years ago, they were ok.

Quiznos is SOOOO much better. But yeah there is a subway half a block from my friends place. I go there about once a month. It's pretty good.

quiznos

quiznos_canada.jpg

AlexfromLA said:
Ah wait what ? This place is good or not ?

And it's not owned by Argentine's. It says its a Peruvian style burger joint.

Its a bit hit and miss. I have been very impressed and also very let down. Pity cause they have the making of a great businees there. How many times have I seen that here before though.

AlexfromLA said:
Quiznos is SOOOO much better. But yeah there is a subway half a block from my friends place. I go there about once a month. It's pretty good.

quiznos
I haven´t tried them yet, maybe on my next trip. I just eat so much breakfast stuff, that I can barely eat anything else while in the US.

Alex actually you got a point there, Argentina did no received migration from Europe and none from USA I will say in the last 50 years and that IS fundamentally the motive of why there isn't a significant variation in the gastronomic food chain on this country.

Now we have coming here heaps of Peruvians, Chilean, Paraguayans, Uruguayans and Bolivians with their native food stuff to enrich the cuisine of this country, on top of that we have as well the damn Yankees coming down with their new gastronomic ideas and thanks to that we now just start to discoverer what the hell are those things with names as chalupitas, nachos, tortillas, tacos, jalapeños, enchiladas, burritos and chilies con carne all that true fabulous native Anglo-American food to enrich even more and change the boring and miserable bland taste of the food down here, not to mention the great McDonald hamburgers with French fries, KFC, the glorious Pizza Hut and the insuperable, real taste of that great American coffee called Starbucks, as well as the bagels, those delicious American-style pancakes toped with that yummy maple syrup, and not to forger that cranberry juice.....all in all a new discovery for the poor and undeveloped Argentinean palate, what we are going to do if it wasn't for you guys, probably only mate, factura vino and asado forever and ever after...thanks guys, keep the ideas coming and please open more restaurants and bagels bakeries and fruit processing plants and more coffee shops so we can all enjoy these real true taste cup-o-coffee and those tacos with black beans mingled with onions, peppers, garlic, cornmeal, and spices with the unmistakable Texan touch of the tasty taco filling. WOW what we were missing all the time.
Now, before you're starting to change everything, please permit us just to keep the Dulce de Leche, the Alfajores, the Dulce de Batata con Chocolate y the Queso doble Mantecoso...please have some compassion, a bit of mercy at least.
Thanks...now I'm done too.

I would more or less agree on most of the points being made. Some food items in Argentina are quite good but variety is lacking. Food in the U.S. can be good or bad but it has a lot more variety. If you want really good food go to France or Italy, in South America Peru has the best food. I think the reason Argentina is the way it is due to a number of factors, chief among them are geographic and to an extend cultural isolation. It's just a long ways from other places although the world is getting smaller. Things are just going to tend get here later than other places. Living in Latin America is like going back to 40 or 50 years ago compared to other parts of the world. From a cultural perspective Argentinians have often considered their country the best in South America including the food, so there was reason to look elsewhere for ideas about food if you already have the best. As some have pointed out this is starting to change but it still has a long ways to go.

Back