Demystifying american expats rants

The only place I know of that does have attracted a local crowd for there idea is CBC

qwerty said:
You will never get a big fan base of Argentine for ideas like that, they are close minded and happy with the pizza-pasta-asado routine.

If you open up a place like that your clientele must be mostly expat

I dont really think that is the case. Look at the success places like Osaka have had with the locals or Kansas for that matter.

Or even places like mcdonalds, starbucks burgerking subway etc.

They are all filled with argies. Mostly the younger people. I think you underestimate the youth in this country and the influence the new immigrants and global media are having on this culture. It is opening it up.

It isn't as closed as it was when the older generations were brought up.

Argentina will change more in the next 10 years than it has changed in the last 50 years. I guarantee that. It really has no other option because with immigration the way it is, the old closed minded immigrants will soon become the minority.

qwerty said:
The only place I know of that does have attracted a local crowd for there idea is CBC

Osaka, la fabrica del taco, kansas, tandoo mcdonalds, subway, starbucks, hard rock cafe, fridays, every sushi place in buenos aires ??????

lets be real, the demand is already there, what is needed is ballsy investors that can make it happen.

AlexfromLA said:
Osaka, la fabrica del taco, kansas, tandoo mcdonalds, subway, starbucks, hard rock cafe, fridays, every sushi place in buenos aires ??????

lets be real, the demand is already there, what is needed is ballsy investors that can make it happen.

I am not talking about big chains. I have never been to Kansas and I don't know the back-ground of the owners but from what I heard you are probally right, eventhough I don't think it's a 90-10(local vs foreign) like CBC

Sushi is indeed something that is pretty succesfull, but I wonder how much is really local clientele

I do think there is more market for big chains, all seem to do good. Mac, BK, Friday's, Hooters, HR Cafe, Subway, Starbucks

AlexfromLA said:
I dont really think that is the case. Look at the success places like Osaka have had with the locals or Kansas for that matter.

Or even places like mcdonalds, starbucks burgerking subway etc.

They are all filled with argies. Mostly the younger people. I think you underestimate the youth in this country and the influence the new immigrants and global media are having on this culture. It is opening it up.

It isn't as closed as it was when the older generations were brought up.

Argentina will change more in the next 10 years than it has changed in the last 50 years. I guarantee that. It really has no other option because with immigration the way it is, the old closed minded immigrants will soon become the minority.

You think it didn't really change the last decade and will change more the next?

qwerty said:
You will never get a big fan base of Argentine for ideas like that, they are close minded and happy with the pizza-pasta-asado routine.

Again with the "pizza-pasta-asado" thing. I really don't get it. My mother (as well as many other households I've known) have cooked for me with a lot of variety. Granted, restaurants may suck, but don't blame it to the general public.
My mother (still) routinily makes: chucrut (we have no german heritage so excuse the probable typos), shepperds' pie (we are no british), several types of cake (welsh, austrian, etc), fishes (in infinite ways, but granted I like mostly merluza and parana river fishes), kebbe (no arab heritage, just learned it, liked it and made it)... and so on.

What you say is the same as me saying: "americans don't know how to dress up"... only because I come across with people in cargos, long sleeve shirts, long socks and brown leather shoes (that's a popular combination everywhere, tourists or not, so it seems).
Also, went shopping for some dress pants... man, only Ralph Lauren's got some decent wool pants... what is it with the microfiber hype??
Was at JC Pennie and others the other day, they looked as if I was some wierdo when asking for wool. Either microfiber or other polyester mixtures only.

billsfan said:
Again with the "pizza-pasta-asado" thing. I really don't get it. My mother (as well as many other households I've known) have cooked for me with a lot of variety. Granted, restaurants may suck, but don't blame it to the general public.
My mother (still) routinily makes: chucrut (we have no german heritage so excuse the probably typos), shepperds' pie (we are no british), several types of cake (welsh, austrian, etc), fishes (in infinite ways, but granted I like mostly merluza and parana river fishes), kebbe (no arab heritage, just learned it, liked it and made it)... and so on.

What you say is the same as me saying: "americans don't know how to dress up"... only because I come across with people in cargos, long sleeve shirts, long socks and brown leather shoes (that's a popular combination everywhere, tourists or not, so it seems).
Also, went shopping for some dress pants... man, only Ralph Lauren's got some decent wool pants... what is it with the microfiber hype??
Was at JC Pennie and others the other day, they looked as if I was some wierdo when asking for wool. Either microfiber or other polyester mixtures only.

My experience is based on 5 years living in BA, I don't think yours is based on living 5 years in the USA

qwerty said:
89-90 were great years for business was it?

I know for a fact there is a market for more fast-food joints, even if you think different. You are Argentine afterall and happy with the pizza-asado-pasta routine

There is also a big expat crowd now that would give a nice base for every company that opens now. I am sure that a place like Taco-bell or so would quickly run CBC out of business
Lol, trust me, I am not happy with the sacred trilogy, that is why I hardly ever order any delivery meals; I am big on very hot and spicy food ( always eat one or two chili peppers with any meat, also sprinkle some on my pizza) but I could not live without my doses of Indian, Chinese, Middle Eastern, Jewish and Italian. On top of this, I get bbq back ribs cravings, and definitely die for any seafood :) I do not care much for sweet stuff though.

AlexfromLA said:
wait, Fuddruckers used to be here ???

They make amazing burgers. My mouth is watering right now. It's time for lunch.
Yeah, they were right on Sta Fe ave and they had these awesome pickes and cheddar cheese fountain....damn I miss that! Oh and real onion rings :)

Back