Dental implants.

Slightly offtopic but I used my mother in law's dentist for a simple filling. It was £15 for the xray and ~£6 for the filling. He persuaded me not to use any anesthesia.

When I got back to the UK the tooth started hurting. I went to my usual dentist, private because my work is too irregular to use the NHS.

They had a look at the xray and felt it didn't have the detail and we needed to see it anyway as the filling may have moved. Turns out it had. They drilled it out and found that there was no 'glue' used between the filling and the tooth. They were also amazed that I was able to go through a procedure that was drilling directly into the root canal without aesthetic.

Both the 'glue' and the aesthetic are very expensive when you're paying £6 for a filling (the dentist at home told me (~30ml?..small in the hand...) bottle is about £100). The glue was particularly important as the tooth was very close to cracking in this case.
Also, the 'glue' and aesthetic may well be hard to get hold of as I've heard shortages of some medical supplies due to the protectionism in Arg.

So, be a little bit more careful if it's a very cheap price. To be honest mine might have been ok if it was a more straightforward filling and they had more exact xray equipment.

The dentist at home also disagreed regarding wisdom teeth. The Argentine suggested getting them out ASAP but decided no as I was flying soon. The Brit said leave them be unless they cause trouble.

Nothing wrong with Argentine dentists in a sense, especially for simple work... just the equipment I've seen has been about 15 years behind the times and working in difficult conditions for incredible prices. You have to be clued up, unafraid and friendly with those questions.

I'm very happy with the British dental work though - £90 but the quality shows.

The Argentine dentist works directly opposite Alto Palermo.

LostinBA said:
Dr. Pelcman quoted me in USD and his staff told me that to convert the proposed price to pesos, he wants to give an exchange rate of 6 pesos! WTF?!

I was wondering about that since every post on his prices was in USD.

To be fair - a few years ago at Swiss Med, they quoted me around 4.000 pesos for an extraction/implant/crown, etc. So if he is charging 800 USD at 6 pesos to the dollar, that's only 4800. Not outrageous AFAIK price wise, esp given the inflation.

citygirl said:
I was wondering about that since every post on his prices was in USD.

To be fair - a few years ago at Swiss Med, they quoted me around 4.000 pesos for an extraction/implant/crown, etc. So if he is charging 800 USD at 6 pesos to the dollar, that's only 4800. Not outrageous AFAIK price wise, esp given the inflation.

The other poster felt he was lacking warmth. I would tend to agree with that and even though I don't like paying 6 pesos to the USD, I decided to go with him simply because he comes across a true professional, not a lying douchebag like so many others in his profession here and abroad. Bone graft next week, I'll let you people know how it goes so if you require it, you'll have an unbiased opinion. Oh, and the bone graft with him cost 500 USD...I hate to think what that would cost in the USA!

Two implants just put in just over 2 hours ago. One word...Professionalism. Wow. I can't highly recommend Pelcman enough. He's phenomenal.

There hasn't been any action on this thread for a while but I was wondering if people had any further recommendations or updates for this Pelcman guy, or other people they can recommend for doing dental implants. Oh, and any ideas on current prices.

Had my two top front teeth knocked out in a bike accident yesterday! Honestly, it's kind of horrible - pain fades, but teeth don't grow back, and unfortunately, even though I was able to save them and carry them with me, the guy said I would more likely just get an infection rather than my teeth 'take' again (due to the size, and my age), so he recommended a prostetis (sp?) in a couple of weeks when the swelling has gone down, then implants after that.

I would really appreciate hearing some more personal stories about getting implants done, costs etc. as well.

Thanks guys

4825-5329, his name is Agustín. I made 5 implants for me. 2 for my cousin. He si great and unexpensive.
Prices are outdated now. Last One was a year ago.
I have never had problems with his work.

There hasn't been any action on this thread for a while but I was wondering if people had any further recommendations or updates for this Pelcman guy, or other people they can recommend for doing dental implants. Oh, and any ideas on current prices.

Had my two top front teeth knocked out in a bike accident yesterday! Honestly, it's kind of horrible - pain fades, but teeth don't grow back, and unfortunately, even though I was able to save them and carry them with me, the guy said I would more likely just get an infection rather than my teeth 'take' again (due to the size, and my age), so he recommended a prostetis (sp?) in a couple of weeks when the swelling has gone down, then implants after that.

I would really appreciate hearing some more personal stories about getting implants done, costs etc. as well.

Thanks guys

Oh god, that's horrible. My deepest sympathies. I really hope this works out for you :(

So much for getting a bicycle, I think I'll walk...

My sympathies as well. What a terrible accident!! I really hope you are better soon....

If anyone has had any gum surgery here, I'd love a recommendation. Never had a cavity in my life but now I have this receding gum issue-ugh. I'd rather deal with it here than in the states since it's going to be a lot cheaper.

I highly recommend Drs Pelcman, Tom and I have been going to them (father & son) for 7 years. Implants for T and 2 caps for me.
Nancy

I'm so sorry for your accident! How scary!Well the Pelmans are my dentists. I know their specialty is implants and have large groups of people coming from Miami regularly to get them done here. I don't have that need yet, gratefully but they clean my teeth yearly and monitor the receding gum issue which happens to us all and faster if you don't brush your gums as well as your teeth... The son was US trained and they both speak English. I think you can trust them. They've been very professional and are well established. However they are not the cheapest. But good. Best of luck.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
citygirl Expat Life 24
S Expat Life 12
Johnny Expat Life 7
T Expat Life 0
artigas Expat Life 47
Back