Desperate to Relocate- Need direction

Thank you, gracias and mahalo for all the info.
reality does bite doesnt it. But i will not be detered. this is what i feel and what started as an amusing idea has become an all consuming journey.
Could someone provide me with relatively reasonable locales to look for an apt in or near BA?
Is there an office/group meeting/center for expats in BA that can provide info and aide in transitioning? and if not, WHY NOT?! - sounds like a great idea. there should be one in all countries for all relocators.

ArgentineLove said:
Thank you, gracias and mahalo for all the info.
reality does bite doesnt it. But i will not be detered. this is what i feel and what started as an amusing idea has become an all consuming journey.
Could someone provide me with relatively reasonable locales to look for an apt in or near BA?
Is there an office/group meeting/center for expats in BA that can provide info and aide in transitioning? and if not, WHY NOT?! - sounds like a great idea. there should be one in all countries for all relocators.

Believe me, living "near Ba" is not an option.

What you feel now (from a great distance) is (unfortunately) most likely to change after your arrival here.

You are "innocente" (naive) at this point.

I'm sorry to say that even with your great attitude, your "all consuming journey" will probably consume everything, including your desire to live in Argentina within a few months if you don't have the resources to live here (without a job).

Just come for a visit as a tourist and have a great time...

Just like the tourists in Hawaii.

ArgentineLove said:
Aloha!

New here and was told this site was quite helpful in relocating to argentina.
I am presently a US citizen in Honolulu, HI. Late twenties. Female. No college degree but over 9 years changing majors! :)
I am a musician, and work in the movie industry for the IATSE union.

I have a desperate desire to see and stay in Argentina and want to make my move in late december or early january.
However i will admit i am a greenhorn to relocating in a forgein country.
Please any help with these answers or even information you may have to help me would be a bountiful blessing in my journey.

a) is there a program that doesnt cost loads of money that would allow me to stay in argentina for at least a year to decide whether or not i can swing it in argentina?
-I have looked into teaching english there but have to go through some certification courses
-The University here in hawaii has an exchange but you must be a spanish major and the stay is only 3 months.

b) What is best to do as far as finding a place and getting around?
-Are there transition houses, hostels, perhaps a boarding house?
c) What would you consider a reasonable amount of money to relocate in argentina with, initially?
d) what if i speak very little spanish at the present time, is it going to be difficult?
e) is the crime against americans as bad as the websites make it out to be?
f) Is it difficult for americans to obtain work in argentina?
g) and finally would any one be willing to 'show me the ropes' once i got there?

I look forward to ANY and all help you can provide.

The best way to do it is through the school. First of all you will have a built in support system. If you have any problems you will have someone to turn to (no small matter). You will find the cheapest housing through the school. You will make friends with people in your age range and with your size wallet (most likely).:) I am familiar with the University of Hawaii and they have a good study abroad program. So, what if you have to major in Spanish? The majority of problems for foreigners here stem from the fact that they do not speak the language.

I went to school a couple of years ago here in Buenos Aires and it was great to see all of the students from the States, Europe, Canada, etc. partying together, travelling the country together and learning the city with new friends.

Do not come to Buenos Aires looking to land a job. The pay is low if you can find one at all.

Crime is not specific to Americans. It has more to do with being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Buenos Aires can be as expensive or inexpensive as your lifestyle. I spend almost as much money in Buenos Aires as I do in the States.

It sounds like you have been reading alot of travel magazines. The reality here is quite different. Buenos Aires will bring you to your knees faster than any place I have ever been in my life. So, no, I seriously doubt that you will find anyone to "show you the ropes." This is a tough city where people sink or swim on their own. Which is why I seriously suggest starting off as an exchange student. Then you can take it from there.

Dreams are great and everything looks different from afar. Listen to Recoleta Carolina and the others. We have your best interest at heart. Visit (with money and a place to stay) first. There is no "Expat Bureau of Support Abroad" anywhere that I know of.

Back