Did anyone's parents make the move to BA too?

allcraz

Registered
My parents, 73 and 63, are toying with the idea of spending half the year in BsAs. I would love it, but I'm afraid that 6 months might ruin their "love affair" with the country. Come Feb. I will have been here 5 years and they realize I'm here to stay. Have any of your parents ever made the move or considered an option like this?? We don't have kids yet, but they are shooting for about the time they think grandchildren might be in the picture.

A friend of mine's parents visit from Honduras every year. they obviously speak spanish, and yet she finds the visits to be rather draining because they really rely on their kids to set them up with everything. By the end she's exhausted -- and she has a brother, sister, and two nephews here that all take turns entertaining the parents!

Maybe it's just her family, but last year they were here from September to mid-January and even though the mum got set up with art classes and the dad was going to lectures and they had a place with a terrace to set up some plants (and they went to the various kids apartments and gardened) it does get to be a lot of work when you are the only reason for your parents to come.

My mum has come down 3 times over the years for one month visits at a time -- she speaks no spanish but she always tries (she takes classes and then forgets everything and goes back to the beginning at her next year's visit). It's lovely to have her here and she is more independent -- and she's more the type that's happy to curl up with a good book, so she doesn't feel the need to be out all the time Doing Something.

It really comes down to what type of people your parents are. It's great if they want to spend time with (potential) grandkids. But you also can't be responsible for whether or not they are happy here. If I were you I would strongly suggest to them that they try coming down for 2 or 3 months and see if they are really happy before they actually commit to a 6mos/6mos thing.

If my parents were alive, I sure wouldn't want them living in Cap Fed (between the broken sidewalks, insecurity, assholic citywide practice of not giving bus/train seats to senior citizens...) Maybe a nice comfortable house in the suburbs where the pace isn't quite so intense (for example, my partner's mother often rents out her house in the provincia to American retirees -- they spend their days playing golf at the golf club and socializing at the local parrilla, but can take the train into CF for entertainment or doctor's appointments whenever they want.)

allcraz said:
My parents, 73 and 63, are toying with the idea of spending half the year in BsAs. I would love it, but I'm afraid that 6 months might ruin their "love affair" with the country. Come Feb. I will have been here 5 years and they realize I'm here to stay. Have any of your parents ever made the move or considered an option like this?? We don't have kids yet, but they are shooting for about the time they think grandchildren might be in the picture.

If it was me i would be sending the grandkids to the grandparents for six months. Makes everyone happy. They get to see the kids, you get to have a break !!!!!!

davonz said:
If it was me i would be sending the grandkids to the grandparents for six months. Makes everyone happy. They get to see the kids, you get to have a break !!!!!!

I think Davonz is a genius!!!!....

But only you know your parents.. My mom would never even make the 20 hours of flying waiting and layovers to get from the USA to Argentina.

IF your parents are REALLY active, open to new things and can deal with the big city they could make 6 months.. My dad loves it here but after a few good steaks and some wine he is ready to go after 2-3 weeks....

Thanks. Just wanted to see if anyone had any direct experience with their own parents. Syngirl, my mom sounds more like yours...give her a good book and she's happy anywhere. I would be more worried about my dad, actually. Well, time will tell. I agree that having them down 2/3 months is much more realistic to start out with. And also agree that I can't be responsible for them being happy. Part of me feels that realistically it won't end up working out, but even if they at least try I will be very proud of them.

My mom is 60 and moved here 2.5 years ago to be with her only child and only grandchild...so for her it's a no-brainer....she took Spanish classes for a few weeks and after a tough year has adjusted quite well. She has a better and more active life here than she would in the states...She goes out ALL the time...there are no such things as 55+ Adult living communities here...Right now I'm trying to convince my 63 year old dad to move here as well...

Back