Digital nomad visa questions

I am shocked! They finally did it.
son extranjeras nacionales de países que no requieren visa de turista para ingresar a Argentina
this means people that need tourist visa to enter the country, for example Filipinos, will not be able to get this residency.

It is actually a visa thou, probably under the residencia transitoria. It will cost 200 dollars to apply online.

To obtain the visa, people must enter the website and present: CV with work activity and the endorsement of the company they work for.

It would be helpful to know exactly what information migraciones is looking for in the CV as well as the exact meaning of the word "aval" (endorsement) of the company they work for...

,,.as well the exact details of how the income can (must) be received, converted to pesos, and taxed in Argentina.

Two quick questions

1. Will people who stay six months then extend for another six months have to pay any taxes in Argentina

2. If you run your own business but can prove your monthly income will it work with migraciones?

(also I’m guessing this is national, not just BsAs?)

PS to my previous post:

Am I correct in assuming the six month digital nomad visa does not entail paying income taxes in Argentina o and does not specifly how the income is received in the country?

I imagine that, in order to verify that a "digital nomad" is actually employed by a foreign company, Argentine migraciones woud be looking for the paper trail that proves it and would want more than a simple "endorsement" or even a work contract.

Perhaps they will ask for previous wage and tax statements and/or previous income tax filings, etc. in the CV?

If migraciones does not ask for detailed information and the visa is granted, what will happen if and when they discover that the "digital nomad" is not employed?

,,,as if I didn't already know. 🤠

Last edited:
I imagine that, in order to verify that a "digital nomad" is actually employed by a foreign company, Argentine migraciones woud be looking for the paper trail that proves it and would want more than a simple "endorsement" or even a work contract.

My guess is that nobody will verify anything, they will just keep some paperwork on file. There are two options:
  1. You can entry the country as a tourist, and do whatever you are doing online.
  2. You can entry the country as a digital nomad, pay 200 bucks to the government, and do whatever you are doing online.
While first approach is questionable, the second one is officially legal. This is more like selling indulgences.

It is not that common for digital nomads to be "actually employed". The vast majority of them are contractors, freelancers and not permanent employees. I assume this "endorsement" will be more like an e-mail letter: "This guy presently works for us on some project doing this and that. We do not mind if he does it from Argentina". But we'll see how it turns out.

We'd just need to wait a few weeks until the new visa category is approved officially and published in boletin oficial. Until then it's all speculations.

Hi,

From my understanding of this bulletin: https://www.boletinoficial.gob.ar/detalleAviso/primera/262282/20220511 the digital nomad visa will come into effect tomorrow.

I am curious what would be the process of if I were to do the following:

• Enter Argentina as a tourist (from U.K. so no visa required)
• Whilst in Argentina searching for a job based in the U.K. that would allow me to work remotely in Argentina

Given I am allowed 3 months in Argentina without a visa or extension, were I then to apply via this new digital nomad visa, would the clock reset as to when the digital nomad visa would begin from, or would it be retrospectively applied, despite lack of prior applicable employment?

Appreciate this is quite a niche situation and one which isn’t yet possible but will presumably become possible in the coming weeks!

I think the digital nomad visa is what I am looking for since I am a remote worker. I have been here in BsAs for one month now, I am going to use the extension after 3 months and consider applying at the end of the 5th month.
1-) Any thoughts on this?
2-) If I follow this path do I have to leave the country and re-enter after 180 days even though I have this new visa?

Back