Dill pickles and dill relish?

hmmm we are ‘seasoned’ but when we ask in the jewish stores they said all salt is kosher-ps i am certified jewish
I once made the mistake of asking in another forum what all the fuss about kosher salt is? After all, isn't salt just some minerals? I was told that sea-salt might have remnants of sea-creatures, and so isn't considered kosher. It does seems slightly far-fetched to me, and more plausibly a reason to increase prices for no benefit to the user, but whatever. I would also assume the Jewish community here can source whatever salt they consider kosher.

What is the difference between salt & kosher salt?

Unlike other types of salt, kosher salt is made solely of sodium chloride. It usually doesn't contain any trace minerals, iodine, or anti-clumping or anti-caking agents. Conversely, iodized table salt is fortified with iodine, an essential mineral that plays a key role in thyroid health and hormone production ( 11 ).
https://www.healthline.com › nutrition

Kosher Salt: What It Is, Vs. Other Types of Salt, and More - Healthline

More results

Can I use regular salt instead of kosher salt?

Here's the deal, though—you can't use table and kosher salt interchangeably. For every tablespoon of our old standby Morton Iodized salt (table salt) you would need 2 tablespoons of Diamond Crystal Kosher to produce the same saltiness. So the ratio of table salt to kosher salt is 1:2.Jun 11, 2008

I once made the mistake of asking in another forum what all the fuss about kosher salt is? After all, isn't salt just some minerals? I was told that sea-salt might have remnants of sea-creatures, and so isn't considered kosher. It does seems slightly far-fetched to me, and more plausibly a reason to increase prices for no benefit to the user, but whatever. I would also assume the Jewish community here can source whatever salt they consider kosher.
Kosher salt is not nessesary Kosher, as in the definition of manufactered under religious guidlines. At the least, It is salt without common table salt additives, e.g. iodine and floride, and is a larger granual. Yes, It is used to manufacture dry meats under Kosher religious guidlines. I also have never found it labeled here. For preserving food and other recipes I consider sal gruesa and sea salt good enough, though good chance I have used the wrong thing.

What is the difference between salt & kosher salt?

Unlike other types of salt, kosher salt is made solely of sodium chloride. It usually doesn't contain any trace minerals, iodine, or anti-clumping or anti-caking agents. Conversely, iodized table salt is fortified with iodine, an essential mineral that plays a key role in thyroid health and hormone production ( 11 ).
https://www.healthline.com › nutrition

Kosher Salt: What It Is, Vs. Other Types of Salt, and More - Healthline

More results

Can I use regular salt instead of kosher salt?

Here's the deal, though—you can't use table and kosher salt interchangeably. For every tablespoon of our old standby Morton Iodized salt (table salt) you would need 2 tablespoons of Diamond Crystal Kosher to produce the same saltiness. So the ratio of table salt to kosher salt is 1:2.Jun 11, 2008

The larger the crystals, the more space between them. So, yes, a teaspoon of sal fina will make the food more salty than a teaspoon of the medium grade called either sal parrillero or sal entrefina, and a lot more so than a teaspoon of the coarse stuff called sal gruesa.

My main reason for using the medium grade rather than the usual fine "table salt" is that the fine salt has those chemical anti-clumping agents added, and the mid-grade or coarse salt does not.

And for the record "yodado" means iodized.

Dill/ Eneldo is now readily available, and yes you will have to make yr own. Not sure if there is kosher salt in BsAs.We made pickles - only certain time of year you can find pickling cukes.
What time of the year can I find the pickling cucs and where?

The normal cucumbers you can get in a vegetable kiosk work fine for me, they're shorter and fatter than the salad cucumbers I know from Ireland, so I figure they qualify. Lots of cauliflower available right now as well. I'll look for dill again, I've only found it at random and not recently, but places like Coto, Disco, and Jumbo have sealed plastic trays of fresh herbs. If you like to add turmeric / curcuma for colour it's available too (Chinatown, if nowhere else).

The normal cucumbers you can get in a vegetable kiosk work fine for me, they're shorter and fatter than the salad cucumbers I know from Ireland, so I figure they qualify. Lots of cauliflower available right now as well. I'll look for dill again, I've only found it at random and not recently, but places like Coto, Disco, and Jumbo have sealed plastic trays of fresh herbs. If you like to add turmeric / curcuma for colour it's available too (Chinatown, if nowhere else).
The issue with normal cucumbers, not for pickling, is the higher water content...they just make the pickles softer. If that doesn't bother you, then any cucumber will do...

Back