Dill, Where To Find Some

No. You have to understand that for cheaper restaurants (and Mex places are not usually high end) Guacamole is a fairly expensive (check the price of those palpas) and that it spoils pretty quick. Brute economics at play here normally, corners are cut, filler ingredients are dumped in to cust costs. Not universally true but is often the case when ingredients aren't nacional y popular!

I went for lunch yesterday, not somewhere particularly cheap. Order a salad with orange, endives, palmitos and lettuce...arrived 95% tired lettuce, 4% palmitos (getting more expensive these days) and 3 sections of orange with 3 endive leaves. Truly miserable. Bottom line is that restaurants here face a rollercoaster of ingredient prices and will cut quality to manage costs sometimes.

With lettuce prices at $40 pesos per kilo, salads cost more than the main dish. Cheese at $120 per kilo makes the ham and cheese sandwich tostado, a gourmet dish.

No. You have to understand that for cheaper restaurants (and Mex places are not usually high end) Guacamole is a fairly expensive (check the price of those palpas) and that it spoils pretty quick. Brute economics at play here normally, corners are cut, filler ingredients are dumped in to cust costs. Not universally true but is often the case when ingredients aren't nacional y popular!

Exactly the reason why I'm getting better & better at home-cooking!

Am giving serious consideration to twice monthly trips out to Mercado central and filling up the freezer...now that we're past power cut season!

Homemade! I haven't found a place here yet that doesn't mix it with mayo. Eww! That's not real guac. Has anyone found a place that keeps it pure?

Lupita? I don't think they're guac is that good but I'm pretty sure there's no mayo in it.

I bought some today at the Progresso Mercado on Rivadavia. I can usually find it at the Chinatown supermarkets also - as others have noted.

Back