Dilma's Speech & Coup D'etat In Brasil...?

Temer will probably become more unpopular and get all kinds of real heat from Brazil's gov't employee unions who exercise immense and undue pressure on their representatives in Congress which could explain their vote at least partially when he takes necessary austerity measures like curtailing public servants wage increases and overhauling the retirement system where you have people retiring at 45 years old for one example.
Joaquim Levy one of Dilma's last economy ministers wanted to do this but he wasn't allowed.Maybe this austerity is the "salvation" that Temer is talking about.Camberiu is correct in that Brazil has a judiciary that works quite well which is a lot more than you can say about the legislative and executive branches
From what I read the Brazilian people have had enough and just want to get along with their lives.True.This is a democratic learnung process in daily progress.
You can follow Lula's situation by reading Folha de Sao Paulo on line..

Lula a billionaire??? a rag to riches story from shoeshine to billionaire. His son Lulinha who used to clean shit at a zoo now a prominent meat exporter....

http://www.reuters.c...e-idUSKCN0W62DA

filho_do_lula.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/apr/21/dilma-rousseff-enemies-impeached-brazil

dennisr:
Many thanks for the above article..I generally do not agree with the Guardian but this is a happy exception for me.This has been said in an NYT article before but this one is better.The whole impeachment circus is a cover up for the huge and on going corruption of Brazil's elite and has existed most likely for decades.
As Miranda mentions again quoting the NYT at least 63% of Brazil's legislators could be brought up on corruption charges.
camberiu
:I don't believe that you sensationalist cartoons are going to be enough to cover up this situation.Thinking people who know Brazil and Latin America "ain't buyin' it".

David Miranda is full of shit. To say that the impeachment is an act from the "wealthy elites" is to conveniently ignore that Lula and Dilma ran the largest and most generous corporate welfare program in Brazilian history, bankrupting both the BNDES and Caixa Economica, by providing subsidized state loans to those "wealthy elites". Is to ignore the fact that the Petrolao, the Petrobras corruption scandal that destroyed one of the world's largest energy companies, benefited mostly the "wealthy elites". It is to ignore the fact that most of the folks arrested so far by corruption are some of the wealthiest members of that "Brazilian elite", such as multi-billionaire Marcelo Odebrecht. It is to ignore that the supreme court that was appointed mostly by Lula and Dilma ruled UNANIMOUSLY that the impeachment proceedings were both correct and Constitutional.

I will not address such stupid pieces of partisan propaganda again.

I feel like there's a lot of confusion surrounding this topic, so I gathered some material:
What law did Rousseff break?
Law No. 1079, Art. 4, item VI. More specifically, she committed the infraction described in Art. 36 of Complementary Law No. 101.

In sum, she approved illegal loans between her government and public banks. Art. 2 of Law 1079 states that the defendant is liable to loss of office for this infraction.

Moreover, Art. 38 specifies that the congress and the senate, presided by the president of the Supreme Court, are responsible for the judgment when the defendant is the president. Accordingly, an impeachment procedure has been established against her.

"That's all, she committed an infraction?" No. There were dozens of impeachment requests filled against her, from infractions, to illegal donations to her campaign by megacorps sponsored by her government (to which the CEOs already confessed). But according to the constitution, the infractions are enough to impeach her.

Those are the facts. Here is my opinion:
The Worker's party and sympathizers are in panic mode, doing massive propaganda that the Dilma's impeachment was "a coup" by the "elites". A coup is what was attempted in Turkey a few months ago. As already explained, the law is clear and the impeachment was conducted according to it. The Supreme Court, of which the majority of the ministers were appointed either by Rousseff herself or by Lula (her sponsor) already agreed to the legality of the process and gave the go ahead.
Moreover, if there was a coup she would have been deposed a long time ago, since the lengthy impeachment procedure gave her time to approve measures which will basically screw the next government. And there would be no reason to follow procedure. 68% of the population supports the impeachment, and Dilma's approval was as low as 9%.
Oh, and here is the kicker: Dilma's own party filed 50 impeachment requests between 1990 and 2002 (that is one every 3 months). So it's really hypocritical to call the current one, which actually has legal basis, a coup.

Impeachment is a political trial. It is an integral part of a constitutional set of checks and balances.

Just like in the case of paraguay the fact that it was a kangaroo court brandishing trumped up charges doesn't make it illegitimate.

I think the WaPo editorial board put it well.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/a-difficult-but-necessary-outcome-in-brazil/2016/08/31/f4e84056-6f93-11e6-8533-6b0b0ded0253_story.html?utm_term=.9dae45fcd08b

Back