Disclosure Scotland Certificates

ebrizz

Registered
Hi,

I have already posted re Criminal Records but hey it hasn’t been such a clear path...so im back.

I am from Northern Ireland, I have an Irish Passport and Ive been living in London for the past six years.

I need to get my criminal record for my work visa and I talked to Metropolitan Police in London who informed me that what I need is a Disclosure Scotland report for Employment purposes for my Visa in Argentina.

As I haven’t read anything about these and the Migrations office has not responded to my numerous emails I wanted to ask...

Has anyone been successful with a Notary singed, Disclosure Scotland Certificate which has also been Apostilised? With regards to the 5 criminal record requirement for the working visa?

Huge thanks!

Maybe its different because you're from northern ireland, but for me (native londoner) I needed a subject access request, which is a data request for data held on the police national computer. Thats what got me my work visa here.

They may have changed the rules since february, but it seems a bit unlikely. I would double check, its possible that you spoke to someone in the MET who didn't fully understand what you needed. Some countries have a visa scheme going with England, and there are special pre-prepared docs you can order, but argentina doesn't work to that scheme to my knowledge.

Just to follow up on this in case anyone else is in my position in the future. The Disclosure Scotland certificate was accepted and they knew what it was having seen them before. So fingers crossed all is being processed and I should have my DNI in the near future.
Good luck to anyone else reading this.

I'm going through a similar process so this is promisingto read. What a nightmare getting that damn criminal record certificate.

Are you able to confirm that the document from Disclosure Scotland doesn't need to be notarised if it is signed by someone from Disclosure Scotland?

Hi there, this is going to sound a silly question. Why a Disclosure "Scotland", when you are Irish from the North, but were living in London?....

I am in a not too dissimilar situation. I was born in the North, hold an Irish passport, but havent lived in the UK for 10 years. I was told I needed a gardai form, as I understood it to be 5 years that they wanted clarity on. If its a life time, I have lived in a number of counries in my 52 years, it would take a lifetime obtaining them all!

Hi Moonwitch,

Im sorry to say but the certificate does need to be Notarised before getting an Apostille stamp. Good luck, you will get there in the end. Let me know if you need any help getting a translator here in Buenos Aires.

Hi Liam, Disclosure Scotland http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/about/
DS is very commonly used by Human Resource functions across the UK for employee Criminal Record checks. Its based in Scotland but reports for all UK Police Records and NI if a connection is made. They probably bunged it up North to save costs.

What I dont get is how Immigrations verify when I have been for the last five years...with no requirement to stamp European passports I could have been living anywhere...At least DS covers all of the UK in case there were any ´in London but from NI´ queries.

I couldnt get a Gardai report as I wasnt in the south if following the 5 years rule, then again how would immigration know that...

Ebrizz - Thanks for that. Agree with you on the "How would they know" issue. Before heading on my latest travels, I lived in Dublin for 8 years, but as I am Irish, i didn't have to "register" their, how can I prove it. I certainly haven't got gas bills from 2002 to prove my address at the time. If I go the gardai, all I have to say is that I live there, and work for the Government, obviously the length of employment I can prove with a letter from them, but that doesn't actually prove I was living in Dublin, I could have been commuting from Banbridge! (Not as daft as it sounds, as a work colleague of mine was dong just that, commuting from Newry).

Obviously, I have no criminal record to worry about fom anywhere, but the expense in time, as much as financial, in obtaining criminal record checks from the five seperate states (I mean countries) I have lived in during the last 25 years would be horrendous. Can anyone confirm it is a 5 year rule they seek here? I haven't yet applied for residency here, as I am in a somewhat different situation to most, and was advised by the Argentine authorities in Dublin to use a tourist Visa until I knew my long term plans (They don't have a Visa class for my present circumstances - long story).....

Back