Tartan Day - This Sat April 11Th, A Celebration Of Scotland

Girino

Registered
http://www.batravelguide.com/2015/04/tartan-day-celebration-2015.html

I'd bet $100 the music in that video is an Irish band. But that's part of what I love about Argentinos.

I'd bet $100 the music in that video is an Irish band. But that's part of what I love about Argentinos.

The music is Paddy's Leather Breeches which is a traditional Scottish tune apparently, played by Phil Anderson on the album Celtic Spirit. I couldn't tell you who Phil Anderson is though. This sort of teuchter music can be both Scottish and Irish. There's a lot of overlap there.

p.s. Shazam is a handy app ;)

I'd love to attend Tartan Day with some real Scottish. They will be the only ones with skirts, though.

In my experience the Irish-Argentine community are quite aware and reverential of Irish culture. Irish-American culture is another animal, it's more the fusion of American and Irish values. Not saying that's bad.

This Scottish day business however should involve more mid to late 90s Scottish indie bands,re-enactments of the archie gemmill "moment", less bagpipes, more whiskey and as many spurious references to irvine welsh characters as possible.

I went to a celtic music concert in the legislatura porteña a few years ago. It was a bit of a surreal experience but had nothing on the shock I got when I followed one of the flyers handed out at the concert to a "celtic culture festival" in parquet chacabuco a few weeks later.

I was expecting kilts and bag pipes and instead I got:

Back