Divorcing In BsAs

Spfly731

Registered
Was divorced in the US, but married in BsAs. I need to get my US divorce papers appostilled... does anyone know if I can do this in Argentina? I have the originals.

Thanks

Even if your divorce papers are notarized I don't think you can get an Apostille for them in Argentina. My original divorce papers (from the court) were not notarized so they could not receive the Apostille. I orderd (on line) an official certificate of divorce from the Secretary of State in which I was divorced and requested the Apostille for Argentina. (It did not look anything like the papers I had from the court.) I had it sent to a friend in the USA and she sent it to me in Argentina via FedEx. I had it in less than ten days.

Hopefully, they won't abreviate your middle name. They did on mine, even thought the court papers bore my full name.

I thought I might need it when I apply for an Argentine passport, but I haven't crossed that bridge yet.

If your original papers from the court are signed and have a raised seal you might be able to have them receive the apostille, but the official state issued certificate of divorce can be ordered with the Apostille and will be accepted in Argentina without any questions (as long as the names match exactly).

It should cost about the same as sending the court papers you have to an Apostille service in the USA and having them returned to you in Argentina.

Do you know where online I can order the divorce papers with the Apostille? I was divorced in California, have checked their Superior court websites, I'm not finding a place to actually order the certified copy and Apostille for Argentina. Thanks for all your help.

Spfly731 said:
Do you know where online I can order the divorce papers with the Apostille? I was divorced in California, have checked their Superior court websites, I'm not finding a place to actually order the certified copy and Apostille for Argentina. Thanks for all your help.

Try the Secretary of State. www.sos.ca.gov/

Usually you need to have someone go and get the apostile for you. They can send you a notarized copy, but that is not good enough for Argentina. You'll need someone to take the notarized divorce papers and get them apostiled in California. Once you get them here, they'll also have to be translated to Spanish.

If California is anything like Illinois and Utah, the state issued certificate of divorce can be ordered with the Apostille.

I believe a notary in the US only notarizes documents signed in their presence.

If the divorce papers from the court aren't notarized or have a raised (embosed) seal they may not be able to receive the Apostille and would not be accepted in Argentina.

Official Secretary of State issued documents with the Apostille are (provided the name on the document matches the name on your passport, DNI, birth certificate, etc.). I think this is the best option if it is available.

Thank you all for all the help.
Oh my..... and after the divorce there is property to sell... how in God's name do I get the money back to the States?

To all expats a word of advice - do not marry in Argentina, but if you do and you buy property with your new spouse and you are putting up the money from your own funds, make sure that it is in the "Escritura", if not everything is divided 50/50 should you divorce in the future. Argie taking me on a wild ride!!!!

Back