Dni Help, (I Apologize In Advance If This Is Redundant)

Deborah Florencia

Registered
Hello everyone,

I know that the subject of the DNI has been discussed a great deal on this site, yet I never seem to find the old posts when I acutally need the information!

Anyway, I would be really apprecaitive if someone could answer my questions please!

I am from the United States and I have acutally lived in Argentina for a year, but never got my DNI yet. I can get it because I am a student studying at a University in Argentina for the next year. I am very confused with what I exactly need in order to obtain it because I keep reading different things online. Can someone please confirm if the folliwng information is correct:

In order to get the DNI a USA Citizen needs the following things:

1. birth certificate- Now i see that there has been differents posts concenring this. Some say I need to have it certified by an Argentine Consulate here in the USA others say I just need to get it appostilled. What is correct?

2. Passport- all pages photo copied.

3. FBI report which has been apostiled. THIS is my main confusion here. Many online sites say I need a background check from the place I have lived in the past five years AND an FBI report. (For example, I live in PA so I need a PA criminal check and a FBI report). But others says that I just need a FBI report and its fine, which is correct?

4. Certificado de Domiclio
5. Argentine Police background check
6. passport photos

(and of course everything needs to be translated)

Please let me know if those documents are right, if i am missing anything, and the answers to my quesitons
Thankssss
Deborah

I didn't need a birth certificate, dont think thats a req. what is pa? Panama? Yes you need a Panamanian criminal background check and a us background check

Hello everyone,

I know that the subject of the DNI has been discussed a great deal on this site, yet I never seem to find the old posts when I acutally need the information!

Anyway, I would be really apprecaitive if someone could answer my questions please!

I am from the United States and I have acutally lived in Argentina for a year, but never got my DNI yet. I can get it because I am a student studying at a University in Argentina for the next year. I am very confused with what I exactly need in order to obtain it because I keep reading different things online. Can someone please confirm if the folliwng information is correct:

In order to get the DNI a USA Citizen needs the following things:

1. birth certificate- Now i see that there has been differents posts concenring this. Some say I need to have it certified by an Argentine Consulate here in the USA others say I just need to get it appostilled. What is correct?

You need to get an apostille.

2. Passport- all pages photo copied.
Make sure it has your full name and not your middle initial. If it has your middle initial you will need a letter from the embassy or you will need a new passport.

3. FBI report which has been apostiled. THIS is my main confusion here. Many online sites say I need a background check from the place I have lived in the past five years AND an FBI report. (For example, I live in PA so I need a PA criminal check and a FBI report). But others says that I just need a FBI report and its fine, which is correct?

Not sure how it is now, but I got a letter from my state's district attorney (Texas) in English saying I had no criminal background. It probably depends on where you have lived the past five years.

4. Certificado de Domiclio
5. Argentine Police background check
6. passport photos

(and of course everything needs to be translated)

Please let me know if those documents are right, if i am missing anything, and the answers to my quesitons
Thankssss
Deborah

See above as I made a couple of comments. You'll also need documentation to show why you are in the country, i.e., if you married an Argentine, if you are here working, etc. Be prepared to have your stuff rejected the first couple of times. It's a part of the process. It took me 4 times. 4th time was the charm.

See above as I made a couple of comments. You'll also need documentation to show why you are in the country, i.e., if you married an Argentine, if you are here working, etc.

You will simply need to show migraciones that you are enrolled as a full time student at an approved institution.

I have my appointment next Tuesday so I can give you more first hand knowledge after that. I had my work visa before I left the US, so they took everything there needed for the DNI and wrote it all up for my application. But I needed a local police background check (if you mean Pennsylvania as in PA, I just got my Philadelphia one and I was fine) but no FBI record. This needed to be apostilled and translated into Spanish by a certified translator. I only needed my birth certificate for my visa, not for my DNI. My husband, however, came in on a tourist visa and we are trying to get his work visa now (which has been a total headache even though he is legally entitled to it). For him he needed both the Philadelphia police report like me and the FBI background check (which requires fingerprints and expires after I think 6 months - he did it in the states at a local FBI office) apostilled (by the state department in the US, you cannot do that here) and translated.

I'm lucky that my work is paying for a lawyer to handle all of this, but I can ask him next week how to go about the process if you are not working with a lawyer. But even with my lawyer the rules for everything keep changing and more and more people are getting denied for visa and the like. At the end of the day a lot of it is up to the person you happen to get at the counter, for my husband they made up all these things they wanted and then on the next try that counter clerk didn't need them.

Hello everyone,

Thanks for your help.

Do the police reports need to be apostilled too? I know the FBI does, but do the state police reports?

Also, whats the process for getting the FBI apostilled? Can they do it there or do I have to send it to the state?

FBI did standard ink form for my husband when he did it. We needed the local police records apostilled too, which was a bit of a headache. They aren't issues by a judge of the state, so they cannot be apostilled. What you had to do is get them notarized and then get the notary stamp apostilled. I had my DNI appointment yesterday and it went smooth. Because my application for DNI was started in the US by the consulate it look 2 seconds. Everything was in order, and the wait time was about an hour and a half if you get there right when it opens at 8am.

How recent does the FBI report have to be? My husband has all his permanent residency paperwork but never applied for the DNI. Will he need a new FBI report even if he presented one for the initial residency? That was some years ago and he has been back to the US several times since. Thanks!

How recent does the FBI report have to be? My husband has all his permanent residency paperwork but never applied for the DNI. Will he need a new FBI report even if he presented one for the initial residency? That was some years ago and he has been back to the US several times since. Thanks!

Does he now have temporary residency?

Though it isn't common It has been possible to have temporary residency and even renew it without a DNI.

He should only need a new FBI report if his temporary residency has expired and he has returned t the USA since then.

Be sure to have it certified.

Back