DNI

Sorry if I am being dense here, so you never have to renew it?
You will have to renew your DNI eventually, but you won't have to deal with migraciones to accomplish that.

PS: My new DNI (isssued in 2014) will expire in 2029 and I will have to go to the regristro to ask for a new tarjeta.

Last edited:
You will have to renew your DNI eventually, but you won't have to deal with migraciones to accomplish that.

PS: My new DNI (isssued in 2014) will expire in 2029 and I will have to go the the regristro to ask for a new tarjeta.
Steve, thanks a lot for the info. Much clearer now.

Steve, thanks a lot for the info. Much clearer now.
Akin to the green card in the US, one thing is the residence itself (which has its own conditions as Steveinbsas described) and another is your DNI which is a form of identity. You are not a permanent resident "because" you have the DNI, you have the DNI because you are a permanent resident. Even Argentine citizens like myself need to renew their DNI at one point (as in any other country).

Akin to the green card in the US, one thing is the residence itself (which has its own conditions as Steveinbsas described) and another is your DNI which is a form of identity. You are not a permanent resident "because" you have the DNI, you have the DNI because you are a permanent resident. Even Argentine citizens like myself need to renew their DNI at one point (as in any other country).
Thanks. That was my question essentially, do I have to renew my residency, and you and Steve answered that.

Glad it finally happened after months of waiting! Yippee!
Maybe you mentioned this but I missed it: Correo Argentino now sends out an email saying that they will be visiting you that day and providing you with tracking info. We got that email yesterday, but we are traveling. Both yesterday and today when they attempted the delivery, the delivery failed (according to tracking info). I'm assuming that the encargados were not at the door either day, even though I asked them yesterday to be on the lookout today. I guess it's just a matter of waiting 15 days and going to Jujuy, as you did. Thanks for your update.
It took 13 weeks rom the time we applied through Radex to the first attempted delivery of the DNI. That was for a cambio de categoría to residencia permanente.
Thanks, I'm buying the first round, or pound :) Anyway, in my slice of this experience Correo Argentino did not send an e-mail. Did they actually attempt delivery? I have my doubts. The only way I knew about the attempted delivery was from a Tramite number I was given at 468 Jujuy by the cryptic clerk who gave no explanation what to do with the Tramite number. One day poking around for answers on the government website I found a link to Correo Argentino, at the page it required a Tramite number. Well, I had one, entered it and by sheer co-incidence could see that they had just "attempted delivery" and the address was Invalid at it was being returned to the DNI maker. That led me back to 468 Jujuy where they told me to wait 15 days, it would be returned to 468 Jujuy. Total Sherlock Holmes.
So yes, I'd say yours should be waiting there for you when you return. 15 or so days after the attempted delivery. Cheers.
One curiosity to note. I had gotten a CUIL after I received the Precaria, some time ago. Today, looking at the back of the DNI there's a CUIL number. Different from the CUIL I got with the Precaria. Remains to be seen what hiccup that will or will not cause.

Thanks, I'm buying the first round, or pound :) Anyway, in my slice of this experience Correo Argentino did not send an e-mail. Did they actually attempt delivery? I have my doubts. The only way I knew about the attempted delivery was from a Tramite number I was given at 468 Jujuy by the cryptic clerk who gave no explanation what to do with the Tramite number. One day poking around for answers on the government website I found a link to Correo Argentino, at the page it required a Tramite number. Well, I had one, entered it and by sheer co-incidence could see that they had just "attempted delivery" and the address was Invalid at it was being returned to the DNI maker. That led me back to 468 Jujuy where they told me to wait 15 days, it would be returned to 468 Jujuy. Total Sherlock Holmes.
So yes, I'd say yours should be waiting there for you when you return. 15 or so days after the attempted delivery. Cheers.
One curiosity to note. I had gotten a CUIL after I received the Precaria, some time ago. Today, looking at the back of the DNI there's a CUIL number. Different from the CUIL I got with the Precaria. Remains to be seen what hiccup that will or will not cause.
That's because what you had obtained is a provisional CUIL. Your "real" CUIL is dependent of your DNI number (it's configured XX-DNI NUMBER-X), that's why it has now taken definitive shape with your DNI number now known.

We just got back into the country this morning. Last week Correo Argentino sent us an email saying that would be visiting us that day and then attempted delivery twice of what we thought was both our DNIs. This morning in Ezezia, though, they told us that my wife's permanent residency had been granted but not mine, and sure enough later I looked on migraciones' website and mine is still "en trámite." We have always before now gotten our residencies and DNIs at the same time. We are on retiree residencies but my wife is the only one getting the retirement benefits at this point, so my "motivo" as they call it is "familiar radicado permanente." Given that this has never happened to us before, where one gets the residencia before the other, I wanted to ask if this has happened to others? Is this because we are now applying for permanent residency? Last week they were obviously trying to deliver only my wife's DNI, because she is the only one of us two whose residency has been granted.

We just got back into the country this morning. Last week Correo Argentino sent us an email saying that would be visiting us that day and then attempted delivery twice of what we thought was both our DNIs. This morning in Ezezia, though, they told us that my wife's permanent residency had been granted but not mine, and sure enough later I looked on migraciones' website and mine is still "en trámite." We have always before now gotten our residencies and DNIs at the same time. We are on retiree residencies but my wife is the only one getting the retirement benefits at this point, so my "motivo" as they call it is "familiar radicado permanente." Given that this has never happened to us before, where one gets the residencia before the other, I wanted to ask if this has happened to others? Is this because we are now applying for permanent residency? Last week they were obviously trying to deliver only my wife's DNI, because she is the only one of us two whose residency has been granted.
Under DNU 70/2017, family does not give the right to get the PR.

Back