DNI

And if that's the case, how he managed to renew the 90-day precaria on the most recent occasion (having left Argentina in April) is another mystery.

No doubt he will clarify his situation.

I have been renewing it online via the DNI office where the application was presented in person. And it is this official at this office who states that the 6 months required stay each year begins the day the DNI is issued and not from the day the precaria was issued. Earlier, when I first applied several years ago, this office stated that the 6 month clock begins from the day the precaria is issued. I am now all confused. I applied as a pensioner. Not sure if that changes the nature of the application for residency.

I wonder if we are confusing the terminology here? When you use the term "precaria" are you really referring to a precaria, or in infact to a temporary residency?

If all you did in September 2020 was successfully lodge the documentation they require for an applicant for a residency as a pensioner, then the document they issued you (and that you have kept renewing every three months) is a precaria that you hold until such time as they (i) grant you residency as a pensioner, or (ii) ask you for more information to help them assess your application, or (iii) deny your application. That may be the situation you have been in all this time: holding a precaria while they consider your application. In that case, you do need to stay in the country 183 days from the issue of the precaria (and you may--depending on the pandemic rules--need to be in the country at each point your seek your 90-day renewal). They will not issue you with a DNI at that point. If, in the future, they approve your application for temporary residency as a pensioner, only then can you apply for the DNI. And it will be at that point that your initial question (what date counts for the 365-day countdown?) come into play.

If, on the other hand, in September 2020 they granted you a 12-month temporary residency as a pensioner (you having previously lodged all the documentation and having been issued 90-day renewable precarias while they considered your case), then you are indeed a 12-month temporary resident, you have completed 183-days in Argentina in the first 365 days (since September 2020), and you now need to apply for another 12-month temporary residency in time for September 2021. (And, if you are not from a Mercosur country, you will need to repeat this process one more time--in 2022--in order to become eligible to then apply for permanent residency).

Which is it, do you think? Do you (i) have a precaria granted in Sept 2020 while they assess your application for temporary residency, or do you (ii) have temporary residency that was granted in Sept 2020 on the basis of an application you lodged prior to Sept 2020.

Yes, the precaria expires every three months and I contact the DNI office to get it renewed. When I aspplied for DNI, I was given a precaria (good for three months) and was told the same is renewable until I get the DNI.

It would be great if I could get a formal confirmation from the DNI office on when the clock for the required 6 months stay per year begin -- the day the precaria is issued or from the day the DNI is issued? I wrote to the DNI office in BA but never got a response. I tried writing again, still no response.
You can renew your precaria here:

I must admit, I don't really understand the OP's reference to a precaria. I would have thought if he has been granted a 12-months temporary residency, the question of a precaria (which he would have had prior to being granted temporary residency while his application was being considered) would have disappeared.

Why he has to renew a precaria every three months on his way to a DNI when to apply for a DNI he must surely have temporary residency I do not know. (That's why I used the term "other document", purposefully avoiding the word precaria.)

Perhaps there is more to this than meets the eye. I wonder if the OP is mistakenly thinking he is entitled to a DNI, when all he in fact all he has had since Sept 2020 is the precaria they issue when they have received the application for temporary residency but before they had decided whether to grant that residency. It may be that he simply has a precaria residency and is not entitled to a DNI at all (and his 12 months to complete 183 days hasn't even begun yet).
This is because his case is not crystal clear for them or he has a deportation orden or an appeal.

You are undoubtedly very well informed on this subject and I am happy to correspond with someone so knowledgeable. What I have been issued in terms of paperwork after I applied for DNI reads as follows:

CERTIFICADO DE RESIDENCIA PRECARIA
Solicita: Temporaria
Motivo: Pensianado

La persona titular del presente certificado se encuentra tramitario su residencia en la Republica Argentina. Conforme el articulo 20 de la Ley 25.871, queda habilitada para alojarse, estudiar, salir y entrar del/al Territorio Nacional desde el 26-06-2021 y hasta el 27-09-2021.

Si se encuentra habilitada para desempenar tareas remuneradas. La presente carece de valor legal si no se acompana el Documento de identidad consigado.

Certificado que el ha iniciado ante este organismo las formal para tramitar: ejemplar DNI.

Unfortunately we have now butted up against the limits of my knowledge. What you have is a precaria in the true sense of the term. You do not yet have temporary residency. They are assessing your application for that. The part I do not understand is the last line of the document. I was not aware that somebody on a precaria could apply for a DNI; I thought we could only obtain a DNI after they have granted us the temporary residency. There are people on this board who know more about Migraciones than I do, and perhaps they can explain what appears (to me at least) to be an anomaly: why you are entitled to a DNI at this stage of the process; why they have allowed you to apply for one and noted this on your precaria document.

Anyway, putting the DNI issue to one side, it appears you have done everything you need to at this point, in that you have already completed a sufficient number of days (183) from the date your precaria came into effect (Sept 2020) to continue to be eligible to renew that precaria every 90 days (the next time being from 27-09-2021). It is not clear where you are currently located. If you are outside Argentina, others on this board can advise whether (given the pandemic) once late September rolls around you need to be inside Argentina to once again renew the precaria, or whether you can do it remotely. You will need to keep renewing the precaria every 90 days until they come back to you either to issue the temporary residency or to ask you for more information. You may, however, want to ask them now what the hold-up is, given that it's been 10 months.

We have moved away from your initial question, but I think we first need to first clear up why you have even been allowed to apply for a DNI. The answer to that question will help answer your initial question.

Last edited:
Thanks, Alby, for your informative feedback. You seem to have a knowledgeable understanding of this issue, yet condescending enough to invite others to fill in where you lack the requisite info. I sincerely appreciate your time. This has been a growing enigma for me which began in 2012 and for some health issue or the other, I was compelled to restart the process over and over again, to the point I am now where I am at and still with no clear understanding of where exactly I am on DNI's radar!!!!

OK. Let's wait and see what others can add to this curious issue of being allowed to apply for a DNI whilst only being a the precaria stage.

(You should indicate whether you are currently inside Argentina or outside, and, if outside, whether you plan to try to get back before the end of September.)

But be careful about confusing terms and acronyms. You are interested in your (potential) DNI (identity document). But the radar you want to be is that of DNM (i.e., Migraciones)

Good catch, Alby. Of course, I need to be under the auspices of DNM and not DNI. The latter eventually finds its residence in my wallet!

Back