DNI

There is something amiss here. Migraciones are not working on your case because something is not right. Nowadays to not get a decision within a week is unheard of. You also seem unbothered with this turn of events as you happily renew the precaria without demanding the resolution of your case and the REAL residency and DNI. Let me set something straight:
1. You precaria residency is useless. Useless as it doesn’t not count toward anything. You cannot become a permanent resident until you have had a temporary residency for 3 years. Precária is not temp residency. As of February with the Macri decree being overturned it might be possible to count the precaria time for permanent residence but it’s not a given and you’d enter into a legal gray zone that will definitely require an attorney to maneuver.
2.You cannot and will not be issued a DNI until your case is resolved. You get a disposición from Migraciones.
3. The date the DNI is issued doesn’t matter, what matters is the fecha de radicaccion. Often the DNI is issued by Renaper a month or two after the radicación. The fecha de radicación is on the back of your DNI.
3. Only after your temp residency is granted from the date of radicación up until it’s expiration you must be in Argentina for 6 months or more (if the residency is for a year). If you spend more than that time out you cannot apply for a renewal (prorroga) but need to apply for a new one.
4. If you have lived here for over two years consider applying for citizenship. Not having a DNI will make the process more complicated but it is doable especially with a lawyer.

Are currently outside Argentina? If you are then, there you have it. They are not finalizing your case pending your return.

That is correct. I am out of the country. I left six months after I was issued the precaria. My wife and I both applied for residency together, at the same time on September 29, 2020. She received her temporary DNI card the first week of December 2020. When I inquired on the status of my application, I was asked that the DMN needed new FBI report, as well as a copy of our marriage certificate, I promptly provided both. Still, no resolution. Not sure what's going on. When I first applied for residency in 2012, I received the card within a month, but had to restart the process as I was not able to timely return due to health issues.

This sheds some further light on the matter. It seems that Martin's expectation that he should apply for and obtain his DNI stems from the fact that his wife was issued a DNI three months after they together lodged the documentation and were granted precaria status. I take the fact that his wife was issued with a DNI to mean that his wife was granted temporary residence, whereas he was not (because he had to provide more information).

If that is the case, his original question (when do the 365 days begin?) applies to his wife, but not to him, (since he has no temporary residency and thus is not yet entitled to a DNI anyway). Yet that is still not an entirely satisfactory explanation, because it doesn't account for why his precaria notes that he is applying for DNI.

In the meantime we purchased a small lot in 2004, completed construction of the home in 2011, and have been making payments to the Municipality, ARBA and AFIP but unable to open a bank account or have a landline. At the same time, when we went to renew our visa in 2010, we were urged by DNM to apply for DNI. We have been at it since.

If I understand you correctly, it seems your wife was granted temporary residency as a pensioner in December, but you were not (hence how she got a DNI at that time but you are still waiting). If that is the case, she should at least be able to open a bank account now (and do the other things that flow from that). But to open a bank account, you need to come back to Argentina, which, as everybody knows, is difficult to do at the moment because of the limits currently in place.

As far as I can tell, you should aim to come back as soon as you can (if you can't return before the end of September, find out how to renew your precaria from overseas). Once you are here, using her residency/DNI she can open a bank account, while you will need to continue to pursue your first temporary residence (which, when granted, will entitle you a DNI as well). And your wife should also start preparing her application to renew her temporary residence for its second year (which, based on the information you have provided, probably will be due around November).

Note also that depending on the date your wife was actually granted the temporary residency (sometime after September 2020 but sometime before the first week of December 2020), the clock for her to retain her temporary residency may not have reached 183 by the time you left in April. Therefore, you need to find out what day she was granted residency (the date on what I believe DSP27 is referring to as the "disposition", the official letter confirming the temporary residency has been approved), count 365 days forward from that date to some date between September and December 2021, and make sure she finishes her 183 days before that date.

Thanks, Alby, for your informative feedback. You seem to have a knowledgeable understanding of this issue, yet condescending enough to invite others to fill in where you lack the requisite info. I sincerely appreciate your time. This has been a growing enigma for me which began in 2012 and for some health issue or the other, I was compelled to restart the process over and over again, to the point I am now where I am at and still with no clear understanding of where exactly I am on DNI's radar!!!!
Ask a vista of your file or apply for citizenship that is faster.

Back