Do Aerolineas Ask For Return Flight When Boarding Flight?

Praetor

Registered
Hi,

I'm flying from Bogota to Bsas next week. I've heard from some friends Immigration in Argentina dont care whether you have a flight out of the country or not, but some airlines are picky about it. Anybody know if Aerolineas will insist on it?

A print out of a flight out of country within 3 months is what I would need if so, right?

Thanks

A few years ago I flew Aerolineas one way from Miami (US citizen coming in as a permatourist). I did not have any problems at that time.

Some airlines are doing their best to force you to buy a return ticket. Unless something has changed, that Peruvian airline (can't thnk of the name) sold me a one way ticket for less than $400 to Buenos Aires on one of those special prices. But when I drove all the way to Miami to catch my plane (about a four hour drive) they said I couldn't board the plane without paying $1200 for a return ticket. They claimed Argentina wouldn't let me off the plane if I didn't have a return ticket. Well I either paid or missed my flight is what they said. I LOVE credit cards. I was sure they were lying. I raised a fuss and the manager came and pretended to call Argentina immigrations on the phone and then told me they said I had to have a return ticket. So I did via Visa..

Immigrations here laughed and said there is no such rule, but some of the airlines are doing that. Of course I put the ticket into dispute and the airline didn't even respond to Visa so I won that one. That was a few years ago but I suspect that's how it is still. I talked with American and they said they never do that and I think with Lan too and they said the same but not sure about Lan, it's been so long.

www.fourflagsjournal.com

You need an on going ticket when entering South America usually. Just buy a Buquebus ticket to Colonia and you will be fine.

One trick I learned to avoid these problems was to simply book a reservation of a return flight, on a different airline, print it out and take it with me to the airport and show it at the check in.

The best way to solve this problem is :-

1. Buy a fully refundable one way ticket on another airlines and cancel it on arrival.

2. Just have some kind of printed page with you showing a reservation number and flight details of another airlines. No one actually calls the airline to check. All they want is to see you have some damn thing on you.

I have been entering Argentina dozens of times with One-way flights or Return flights with Bs.As. as the final destination - not even got questioned once by Migraciones (entering on tourist visa). Got asked by airlines a few times though to provide proof of onward travel, ususally just needed to convince the check-in girl this wouldnt be needed. Was once made to sign a written statement to cover all expenses of repatriation in case of being refused to enter Argentina (by BA in CPH).

On a sidenote: afaik immigration is not interested in a return ticket as long as you are able to proove that you bring sufficient funds to afford a return flight at a later date (e.g. by CC).

You need an on going ticket when entering South America usually. Just buy a Buquebus ticket to Colonia and you will be fine.

No you don't. I've had the airline tell me that I need onward travel all the time; its BS, you just have to call them on it. I've never ended up having to buy any sort of onward travel.

Back