Do I need a special permit to work remotely for my US-based company?

There would likely be no issues doing this (say for 22 months) apart from the fine on the way out? No issues with taxes or anything?
Immigration is linked to AFIP (something some people here does not understand), so, as far as you do not have legal residency, they do not see you as taxable. They see your employer as liable to fine but, as soon as he has no office here, there are no consequences.

For US citizens, since the IRS always wants to know what money you're making where forever, is there any potential risk on the US tax side? E.g. saying you made money in the US when you weren't in the US or saying you made money abroad (and the forms then ask which country) if you aren't supposed to be making money in that country? I appreciate this makes governments sound a lot more efficient and on top of it than they are, but just a thought I had.

For US citizens, since the IRS always wants to know what money you're making where forever, is there any potential risk on the US tax side? E.g. saying you made money in the US when you weren't in the US or saying you made money abroad (and the forms then ask which country) if you aren't supposed to be making money in that country? I appreciate this makes governments sound a lot more efficient and on top of it than they are, but just a thought I had.

US taxes your worldwide income. You can take the foreign earned income exclusion, but you still have to file taxes.

Yes, exactly. And when you complete the FEIE form, it asks what country you were working in.
Not sure what you mean by " if you aren't supposed to be making money in that country". If you are asking if the US cares about your legal status in Argentina when it comes to filing your US taxes, then the answer is probably no. The IRS expects you to file income on any tax, even if it is the product of a crime, seriously.

p5LYbMt.png

I obviously wouldn't file it under "illegal income" in my 1040, but just as part of your normal business income, which it is. I doubt very much that the IRS even has the tools to inquire about your immigration status abroad, much less cares, since if it's foreign income and you're taking the exclusion, then you weren't going to pay taxes on it anyway.

If you do end up paying income tax on whatever you make in Argentina, you can just take the Foreign Tax Credit and deduce whatever you paid in Arg from the tax you owe in the US, so the in practice if you're filing in the US there's no scenario where you double pay income taxes. Ideally Arg and the US would have a double taxation treaty and make all of this even more transparent, but here we are.

or saying you made money abroad (and the forms then ask which country) if you aren't supposed to be making money in that country

IRS demands taxes even on stolen goods and illegal activities.
So they won't even care whether you aren't supposed to be making money in that country

Back