Do not bank with Santander Río!

Santander refused to open me an account when I had a Temporary residence visa. when I got the permanent visa had no problem to open an account . Banks do have regulations..

Two questions:

1. How did you win the huge battle with Citi so they let you maintain your account?

2. For a dual citizen (US + Argentina), is it still possible to be denied opening a bank account because one is also a US citizen?

Endless emails and visits to the bank, appeals to the manager. Finally they relented. FACTA was the problem. I believe that came out of the Obama Adm.

The Central Bank regulations request permenent residency for opening a bank account. So, your bad experience is product of ignorancy.

I went to Galicia yesterday and opened an account without hassle. The service I received from Nicolas Albanese at the Belgrano branch on Juramento was excellent. I asked him why some banks in Argentina refuse to open accounts for foreign nationals who are in the process of obtaining their permanent residency and only lack a DNI. He explained that the concern is over fraud. Therefore, @Supercharged and D.B. Cooper, yes, Santander's policies may have something to do with FACTA.

On the other hand, the onus should be on the customer service representatives at local banks to provide people with fair and informed answers (such as Nicolas seemingly did at Galicia); and moreover, on the those higher up in the organization to train and prepare such representatives. If US legislation prevents them from opening an account for prospective clients, then they should be prepared to explain that. And what about those who are NOT from the US who also do not possess a DNI? Are we arguing that FACTA affects them also? @Supercharged and D.B. Cooper???

I do not buy the "poor bank" claim that some on this thread have expressed. I stand my ground in reporting that the service I received at Santander Río was atrocious. And I urge people to avoid banking with them for the same reasons that I mentioned in my original post. They stated I would need a DNI to open an account and when I explained what migraciones had told me, the woman yelled "no importa" and refused to hear me out - in a room full of other customers waiting to be attended to. Should shaming immigrants in public be part of customer service?

As for the "tit-for-tat" comments on this thread (@nikad): anyone (Argentine, Latin American, etc.) experiencing discrimination in any part of the world is a shame.

I think you might be taking this a little too personal.

No one doubts the customer service you received at Santander Rio was atrocious. But I don't think you were being "shamed" because you're an "immigrant" from the USA (or wherever).

Customer service in Buenos Aires is terrible for everyone. Most employees are rude, unhelpful, and want you gone as quick as possible.

Why?

a) It's impossible to fire anyone in Argentina. Therefore there's no incentive to provide decent service.
b) Since service is so bad, Argentine customers tend to be very hostile. Employees are combative because they deal with angry people all day long. It's a vicious cycle. Go to any busy bank around lunch time. You'll see.

But if this was a very upsetting experience for you... then my advice would be to either a) get thicker skin, or b) leave Argentina.

I went to Galicia yesterday and opened an account without hassle. The service I received from Nicolas Albanese at the Belgrano branch on Juramento was excellent. I asked him why some banks in Argentina refuse to open accounts for foreign nationals who are in the process of obtaining their permanent residency and only lack a DNI. He explained that the concern is over fraud. Therefore, @Supercharged and D.B. Cooper, yes, Santander's policies may have something to do with FACTA.

On the other hand, the onus should be on the customer service representatives at local banks to provide people with fair and informed answers (such as Nicolas seemingly did at Galicia); and moreover, on the those higher up in the organization to train and prepare such representatives. If US legislation prevents them from opening an account for prospective clients, then they should be prepared to explain that. And what about those who are NOT from the US who also do not possess a DNI? Are we arguing that FACTA affects them also? @Supercharged and D.B. Cooper???

I do not buy the "poor bank" claim that some on this thread have expressed. I stand my ground in reporting that the service I received at Santander Río was atrocious. And I urge people to avoid banking with them for the same reasons that I mentioned in my original post. They stated I would need a DNI to open an account and when I explained what migraciones had told me, the woman yelled "no importa" and refused to hear me out - in a room full of other customers waiting to be attended to. Should shaming immigrants in public be part of customer service?

As for the "tit-for-tat" comments on this thread (@nikad): anyone (Argentine, Latin American, etc.) experiencing discrimination in any part of the world is a shame.
It is not tit for that, it has to do with FACTA. If you don't like it you can create your own party, win elections and change it ( CFK dixit ). On a more serious note, if you interpret an officialf letter from JP as discriminating you leave me speechless.

Mathew its not clear to me if your Galicia Account its a Savings Account or a Checking Account with Credit/Debit Cards..?:rolleyes:

Back