Do Not Forget, Wednesday October 27, National Holiday for Census

Just a heads up that many things are shutting completely down Wednesday the next week, the 27th of October, because of the National Holiday for the census this year. The law shuts down, until 8 pm, but who knows how it will be in terms of opening then, theatres, shops , concerts, bars, discos, restaurants, food stores, and just about everything. By any food, liquor or any other essential items before. Hunker down. As far as I know, the buses will still be running, Sunday schedule, but of course, nobody knows anything for sure. Be prepared, the day the earth stood still in Argentina.

On a positive note, might be a good time for a
get-together, party, or little trip? A little bit of planning could turn this into a great day. :)

Get an extra damajuana ready?
----------------
El día del Censo, miercoles, el 27 de octubre, será feriado nacional, por lo tanto no se podrán realizar reuniones públicas y no habrá actividad comercial. La Ley 24.254/93 declara feriado nacional el día de cada año en el que se efectúe el Censo Nacional de Población y Viviendas y establece sus alcances en el artículo 2: "Quedan prohibidas hasta las veinte (20) horas del día indicado para la realización del Censo, las funciones teatrales, exhibiciones cinematográficas, competencias deportiivas y en general toda clase de espectáculos y reuniones públicas al aire libre o en recintos cubiertos. Los restaurantes, confiterías, casas de expendio de bebidas y similares, rotiserías, panaderías y en general todo comercio de venta de artículos alimenticios y de bebidas y clubes, permanecerán cerrados hasta la hora indicada.”

http://www.argentina.ar/_es/pais/C3002-censo-2010.php

Nothing more ominous than a countdown

Anyone else unsettled by language like this?

por lo tanto no se podrán realizar reuniones públicas y no habrá actividad comercial. La Ley 24.254/93 declara feriado nacional el día de cada año en el que se efectúe el Censo Nacional de Población y Viviendas y establece sus alcances en el artículo 2: "Quedan prohibidas hasta las veinte (20) horas del día indicado para la realización del Censo, las funciones teatrales, exhibiciones cinematográficas, competencias deportiivas y en general toda clase de espectáculos y reuniones públicas al aire libre o en recintos cubiertos. Los restaurantes, confiterías, casas de expendio de bebidas y similares, rotiserías, panaderías y en general todo comercio de venta de artículos alimenticios y de bebidas y clubes, permanecerán cerrados hasta la hora indicada.

Haha, well there are rumours in the streets that their may be an additional day of shutdown because the government has realized 1 day may not be enough. i know some of the census takers (they are paid 250 pesos for the day's work), and they tell me that they have been advised that they may be needed on Thursday.

Chinese Proverb: "May you live in interesting times."

A trip to Uruguay might be a better idea than a trip in house.

I,ve been here for 6 years so it,s my first experience of a census.I,ve been told I don,t have to tell them what I do,DEFINITELY don,t invite them in,for obvious reasons.I guess it won,t affect you guys too much,but then again maybe it will..It,s Argentina after all!!

HowardinBA said:
I,ve been here for 6 years so it,s my first experience of a census.I,ve been told I don,t have to tell them what I do,DEFINITELY don,t invite them in,for obvious reasons.I guess it won,t affect you guys too much,but then again maybe it will..It,s Argentina after all!!

Yes. You are right. I'm not letting them in! I don't understand why everyone in the family has to be home.

Does anyone know if non-residents need to be home? I have a friend in town and I don't know if she has to answer the door or be home at all. (not that there will be anything for her to do....)

Since i only speak English... this oughta' be fun! I bet starbucks is open!

mini said:
Yes. You are right. I'm not letting them in! I don't understand why everyone in the family has to be home.

They don't, if one person is able to respond for all the other people who will spend the night there then nobody else is required.

mini said:
Does anyone know if non-residents need to be home? I have a friend in town and I don't know if she has to answer the door or be home at all. (not that there will be anything for her to do....)

Yes, tourists are required to answer the questions as well.

Back