Do you consider this dishonest?

Redpossum

Registered
Shopping at the chino. Half-kilo bag of La Morenita (coffee) is marked 2370 pesos. I get up to the register, and it scans at 1200 pesos. I pay the asked price, drop it in my changito, which I parked by the door, and go back to get another one. Again it scans at 1200 pesos. I say nothing, pay the requested price, and leave.

Do you consider this dishonest, or otherwise ethically questionable?

I confess I had mixed feelings. The upright side of my nature remembers The Golden Rule. But the "yankee trader" side of me thinks that caveat emptor cuts both ways. If it was a corporate chain, I wouldn't give it a second thought. But this is a small business. My conscience is a bit troubled by what I did. What do you think?

Well, on the one hand they probably won’t be able to replace it at 1200 but on the other, if you paid cash or by some shady person to person MercadoPago transfer, they probably were not paying IVA on it anyway. Karma is a b****?

Shopping at the chino. Half-kilo bag of La Morenita (coffee) is marked 2370 pesos. I get up to the register, and it scans at 1200 pesos. I pay the asked price, drop it in my changito, which I parked by the door, and go back to get another one. Again it scans at 1200 pesos. I say nothing, pay the requested price, and leave.

I confess I had mixed feelings. The upright side of my nature remembers The Golden Rule. But the "yankee trader" side of me thinks that caveat emptor cuts both ways. If it was a corporate chain, I wouldn't give it a second thought. But this is a small business. My conscience is a bit troubled by what I did. What do you think?

Not to worry often is the opposite situation , the price at the cashier is higher than posted at the shelves, and nobody warns you or feels guilty..?

And if the price at the cashier is higher, would you say nothing?
I really don't check the prices on the stub at the cashier , sometimes when I get home I check the prices and then too lazy to go back to the super, line at the customer service line, for a refund of 200 pesos. They send a clerk to check the price on the shelf, this may take a while.

Last edited:
meh. i wouldn't feel too bad about it. the burden is always on the customer when it happens the other way, so in this case i think the burden is on the store to charge correctly.

Are you sure it was a mistake? I'm not sure how these independents - especially the Chinos - source their products but sometimes one shop or another seems to have an exceptionally good deal on just one specific item. An example from a few years back where it was just one specific Chino and - again it was coffee - only the 500g packs of Cabrales which were going for about half the regular price. They were very short dated (BBE only a few weeks away (@Redpossum - what's the indicated shelf-life of your purchases?) and we figure that they bought that consignment dirt cheap and were shifting it almost as dirt cheap as quickly as they could.

Are you sure it was a mistake? I'm not sure how these independents - especially the Chinos - source their products but sometimes one shop or another seems to have an exceptionally good deal on just one specific item. An example from a few years back where it was just one specific Chino and - again it was coffee - only the 500g packs of Cabrales which were going for about half the regular price. They were very short dated (BBE only a few weeks away (@Redpossum - what's the indicated shelf-life of your purchases?) and we figure that they bought that consignment dirt cheap and were shifting it almost as dirt cheap as quickly as they could.
December 18th of this year, so 3 months and a week from today.
Hey, whatever, it's still decent java, as cafe torrado goes.

99.99% of Porteños would do the same. Are they right?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Expat Life 14
Back