Do you consider this dishonest?

Shopping at the chino. Half-kilo bag of La Morenita (coffee) is marked 2370 pesos. I get up to the register, and it scans at 1200 pesos. I pay the asked price, drop it in my changito, which I parked by the door, and go back to get another one. Again it scans at 1200 pesos. I say nothing, pay the requested price, and leave.

Do you consider this dishonest, or otherwise ethically questionable?

I confess I had mixed feelings. The upright side of my nature remembers The Golden Rule. But the "yankee trader" side of me thinks that caveat emptor cuts both ways. If it was a corporate chain, I wouldn't give it a second thought. But this is a small business. My conscience is a bit troubled by what I did. What do you think?
Is the impact to your conscience more or less than 2340 pesos? If it's less, keep it. If it's more then tell them. They'll probably think you're a bit weird.

I ordered an Air Con unit on Amazon here in the UK years ago. It arrived, my wife didn't like it, asked me to send it back. I initiated the return, then a heat wave hit (whilst I was away on business for a few days) came back and it was fully installed.

I called Amazon, asked them if I could keep it. They told me they'd received the unit and didn't know what I was talking about. I said I still had it. We had a debate. They basically told me they had no way of sorting it out. We have the aircon unit for free and I still feel guilty about it.

Is the impact to your conscience more or less than 2340 pesos? If it's less, keep it. If it's more then tell them. They'll probably think you're a bit weird.

I ordered an Air Con unit on Amazon here in the UK years ago. It arrived, my wife didn't like it, asked me to send it back. I initiated the return, then a heat wave hit (whilst I was away on business for a few days) came back and it was fully installed.

I called Amazon, asked them if I could keep it. They told me they'd received the unit and didn't know what I was talking about. I said I still had it. We had a debate. They basically told me they had no way of sorting it out. We have the aircon unit for free and I still feel guilty about it.
I would still be dancing a jig.

I would only go back if it was a mom and pop shop that I wanted to support or knew the owner of.

Needless to say, a gentleman would correct the error. But you are within your rights.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Expat Life 14
Back