Do you have an Argentine style Xmas eve dinner or...?

We get to the uncles' house at around 8pm -- start with sandwiches de miga, few drinks out by the pool (it's a small lap pool, not a gigantic thing)

Then we move inside the quincha and start with all the old-timey appetizers that haven't been on north american tables since 1972 -- Russian salads, sometimes that carrot with raisin thing, another potato salad. Then some cold dishes -- the tongue dish, can't remember what it's called -- vitello maybe? I'm not a fan. Then usually a matambre de cerdo stuffed with eggs, veggies, surprisingly spicey chilis (my suegra always complains but I love it).

Then starts the asado -- chorizos, morcillas, asado de tira, vacio, etc etc.

After that a little break and then some ice cream.

Then start to get out the champagne so everyone has something to toast with at midnight, the siren goes off and then pure chaos breaks out as everyone runs around the table clinking glasses and kissing and wishing everyone merry christmas and handing out gifts-- this year will be good fun because we've convinced my husband to get dressed up as Papa Noel for my 3 year old niece, so he'll make an appearance at midnight and come in with all the gifts.

After the chaos of the gifts, onto garrapinos, turrones, pan dulce etc etc. and retiring outside if the bugs aren't too bad.

Usually we leave around 3/4am and then...

25th -- back to the uncles for a cold lunch of a whole lechon that will have been cooked on the parilla the night previous. More sandwiches, ice cream, pan dulce, turrones, etc etc and 15 people trying to get into a pool built for about 4 comfortably.

And then we repeat everything minus the gifts the following week for New Years!

In between -- lots of trips to the gym and bike rides or you'll come out of it a good couple of kilos heavier!

Originally Posted by nikad
Hehehe sorry, I ate the coma there ;)

Mmmm yum, coma -- maybe we should add that to our menu! jaja

syngirl said:
Originally Posted by nikad
Hehehe sorry, I ate the coma there ;)

Mmmm yum, coma -- maybe we should add that to our menu! jaja
You do are getting all the yummies at your uncle´s! The tongue is " lengua a la vinagreta " geez, I haven´t had that in years ( we are usually only 7 people at home and I am the only one who like it )

TomAtAlki said:
We're Jewish NY'ers, so off to China town with friends.
I didn´t know that was open on Xmas Eve, some of my Jewish friends celebrate or get invited to somebody´s, the ones that don´t are a mystery to me ( now I know they are all in China town!!! )

Yep, you can hear a lot of heavy NY accents on Xmas eve there

Ha -- it's true!

My mum and sister were in NYC for Christmas last year and at a bit of a loss as to what to do for dinner -- I told them, follow the Jews, go for Chinese! They had a great time.

This will be my first "traditional" Argentine Christmas, and I'm looking forward to it! (last year's was a random, urban-orphan dinner in Palermo.) The girlfriend and I will be schlepping down to her mom's house in the suburbs, and while those two consume pollo, milanesa, ensalada rusa, and pascualina, I'll prepare my vegetarian (and mayonnaise-free) meal. Then, I am told, there will be gifts and helado, followed by champagne and nueces at midnight. Kind of wondering what's left to do on the 25th, without a movie theater or Chinese restaurant nearby...

Back