Polo Argentine style

smitheg

Registered
Hi,

I recently arrived in BsAs and I am taking my parents to a Polo game this weekend. What I would like is to do the Polo day properly. Do I organise a picnic? Can we take Champagne? What time should we arrive? Will we need umbrellas to protect from the sun? is there a Bar? Should we eat beforehand?

In short, what is the right way to organise a day to watch Polo? We have good seats (Section C) but as you can tell I don't know a lot else.

Thanks in advance, any help would be useful.

Ed

Please see what companies sponsor the Polo Championship this year, like banks, credit cards, Mercedes Benz... The normally invite their clients in their stands with champagne and appetizers. Don't bring a pick nick basket or a champagne. If Sector C is the one on Dorrego street (I cannot remember now), bring bottles of water and hats and fans, sun glases and UV protector because if it is a sunny day with high temperatures you will need them. But I'm sure you will love it.

Hello,

I am planning on getting tickets for our family to go to the Polo game this Sunday too. We have two boys 11 and 9. I went to the polo website but did not see an exact time when the game starts? Anyone know?

I also have some of the questions that the other writer asked... can we bring food or snacks into stadium or is food available? What time does the game start and should we arrive earlier, if so how much earlier?

I think that I can buy tix at Teatro Opera CTTI at Corrientes 860 but can anyone let me know if this is correct. I am in Recoleta.

Thankyou.
Shayla

If you bought tickets on ticketek then yes. At teatro citi or Abasto mall

I'd say eat beforehand or plan to eat after. There will be some food available (and the chori/currasco/bondiola stand on Dorrego is one of my favorites, outside the gates) but there will be long lines and the prices will be high. It's fun to have an icecream there if you really feel like having something. You might be able to buy tickets the day of at the fields by going EARLY, as in several hours (I think they open at ten on game days, but not positive). During the finals this is unlikely. There are two ticket offices, one on the Cañitas entrance side, and one on Libertador. They used to sell on Dorrego too, but I think they've take those offices away (???). The website is horrible, if you can speak Spanish I recommend just calling with any questions you have. Or actually they probably can speak English, with so many foreigners having memberships.

Definitely take water and a hat.

Ticketek also has an outlet at "Groove" or some club like that on Santa Fe between Plaza Italia & Juan B. Justo/Bullrich.

If you go on Saturday, GO EARLY!!

I got there about 1pm this past Saturday and the line was about 50 people. I turned right around.

Hi all, there are 2 games on each weekend day, with the first beginning at 13:45 on Cancha 2 (smaller pitch) and the second at 16:45 on Cancha 1, which is the larger ground. My recommendation is to have lunch before, then wander along to the ground at about 14:30/15:00. You can soak up the atmosphere, watch a bit of the first game and visit the stalls/shops.

There is normally some traditional folkloric music or entertainment between the matches so grab a glass of champagne in the bar and do some people watching before taking your seats for the main game at 16:45.

This Saturday the favourites: La Dolfina play in the later match and on Sunday the other big team Ellerstina play at 16:45.

In Argentina you cannot drink alcohol while watching the sport but they do sell icecreams, basic sandwiches, cold water etc in the ground. You can always take your own food/drink into the stands if you wish or there are food stands by the bars in the ground.

There is not much in the way of shade so suncream, hats, umbrellas are advisable.

Tickets are available on www.ticketek.com.ar and they have a branch at Teatro CITI on Corrientes.

Enjoy.

There were several people drinking Stella Artois beers (12oz/33cl bottles) in the stands during the game.

Polo doesn't have the same alcohol restrictions that more common sports do.

Thanks everyone so much for your quick responses. Very helpful and informative. It sounds like there are some different views on food and drink. So we will eat before the games, but bring water. If there is champagne and snacks there we can satiate any cravings.

We have already purchased our tickets at Ticketek on 4389 Santa Fe - very easy in person but the service charge was a bit of a surprise.

a-clover-in-recoleta said:
Please see what companies sponsor the Polo Championship this year, like banks, credit cards, Mercedes Benz... The normally invite their clients in their stands with champagne and appetizers. Don't bring a pick nick basket or a champagne. If Sector C is the one on Dorrego street (I cannot remember now), bring bottles of water and hats and fans, sun glases and UV protector because if it is a sunny day with high temperatures you will need them. But I'm sure you will love it.

Nope. central is on dorrego street. C is on the other side.

Bring a jacket... it could get windy and sometimes cold. bring sunglasses too. you can buy food right there, i recommend the Hospital Militar stand, since it supports the volunteer women for the military hospital. If you want more info, I'm actually going next Saturday also at Sector C, just write a pm

Back