Document Translation Of Original Or Copy

cafeamericano

Registered
Hello,
I am attempting to complete the residency process through the Argentine Embassy here in the U.S. and had a question regarding document translation. They send all the documents to Buenos Aires to process through normal channels so the rules would be the same as far as I can tell. My question is: For translation of documents, does the translator have to translate the original and attach the translation to the original? Or can they translate a scanned copy? Ideally I would like to send the translator in Buenos Aires scans of the documents I need translated and then she would send me back the original translation (by Fedex or similar). This removes the risk of losing any of my original documents if I were to have to send them to the translator. I would be submitting the original document to the embassy and then the original translation. It's just the translation will be a translation of a copy of the documents. Any insight would be very helpful. Thank you in advance!

Over here, the translator photocopies the original and attaches the translation to this copy. The legalización of the Colegio de Traductores Publicos de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires is then attached to the (original) translation and the copy of the original.

2 questions:
1. What are the requirements regarding translators when dealing with the embassy? Here in BA, the translator must be a member of the Colegio de Traductores Publicos de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires and the translation must be legalized by the same. How does it work in the US?
2. Why do this in the US and not here? Once you have documents in hand, the process here is pretty quick and painless - I always understood that via an embassy it takes longer.

Over here, the translator photocopies the original and attaches the translation to this copy. The legalización of the Colegio de Traductores Publicos de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires is then attached to the (original) translation and the copy of the original.

2 questions:
1. What are the requirements regarding translators when dealing with the embassy? Here in BA, the translator must be a member of the Colegio de Traductores Publicos de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires and the translation must be legalized by the same. How does it work in the US?
2. Why do this in the US and not here? Once you have documents in hand, the process here is pretty quick and painless - I always understood that via an embassy it takes longer.

Thanks Ben! That is great news. It saves me the risk of losing originals in the mail. As to your questions:

1. The requirements for translation are the same. I found a translator who is a member of the Colegio de Traductores Publicos and is willing to complete the process and then mail me the original (legalized) translation. That's what makes it a bit of a hassle as I am not aware of any way to get the translation done back here in the US.
2. Possibly because I am a glutton for punishment. To be honest though, I would really just prefer to have my residency in hand before heading down to Argentina. When I emailed the embassy they said it can take up to 30 days to process the residency request and get my precaria. If they actually meet that deadline, it would be pretty great for me. I wonder if I will end up regretting taking this route though, instead of just waiting to do it down in BA.

I would really just prefer to have my residency in hand before heading down to Argentina. When I emailed the embassy they said it can take up to 30 days to process the residency request and get my precaria. If they actually meet that deadline, it would be pretty great for me. I wonder if I will end up regretting taking this route though, instead of just waiting to do it down in BA.

You should not have to wait 30 days to get the precaria even if you apply for temporary residency in Argentina. Unless something has changed I think you get it the same day you present your doccuments.

Even if you arrive with the precaria in hand, I think you will still have to go to migraciones (if not the registro) with the preciaria in order for your DNI to be processed. You may need to get an Argentine police report before you do that and if you apply for the residency in Argentina you will need the Argentine police report before you can get a turno.

Then you will have to wait at least 30 days to receive your DNI, possibly 60 to 90 days (according to recent posts).

If you apply for your residency in Argentina you won't have to pay the additional fee of $600 USD fo the embassy (if reports are true that is the amount they charge).

If you don't like the idea of going to Argentine migraciones alone, there is a member of this forum who will go with you and translate for you. She has helped a number of us get the precaria (including me eleven year ago). I will send you her contact information if you wish.

Thanks guys! Another question: Does the Apostille need to be translated? Or just the document itself?

Thanks guys! Another question: Does the Apostille need to be translated? Or just the document itself?

I always had to include the certificates of the Apostille with the documents and the translations included a reference to (if not an exact translation of) the Apostille.

Agree with Steve - I really think you're making your life too complicated. Make sure everything is apostilled, come here, get it translated and legalized (I am curious how much you're paying to get it translated legalized and sent up there), and submit it. You'll have your precaria on the spot and your DNI within a month. I submitted my docs personally and didn't have the slightest problem.

I wouldn't know re the Apostille, as my documents were from Canada which is not party to the Hague (Apostille) Convention. My docs had to be accompanied by a legalization from the Argentine consulate in Toronto, which of course needed no translation.

Hi Ben,
Thanks for weighing in. The more I think about it, I think you all may be right. It would feel better to have the precaria in hand when I go down, but with all of the additional costs, that idea is losing its luster.

Another somewhat related question: The Argentine Embassy sent me a list of required documents for the visa and for the police record they requested a local police report and if I had lived in more than one state in the last three years, and FBI report. From what I have read on the forum, if you do the visa in Argentina through migraciones, they only want the FBI report. Is that the case? It would be nice to only have to do the FBI report.

From what I have read on the forum, if you do the visa in Argentina through migraciones, they only want the FBI report. Is that the case? It would be nice to only have to do the FBI report.

Migraciones in Argentina only requires the FBI report if you are applying for the temporary residency in Argentina.
If you only speak a little Spanish you should not have any problem if you go on your own.

The most important thing to focus on is how your passive income is documented, that you have received it for at least the past two months and that it will continue "uninterrupted" for the next two years (even though the visa will only be issued for one year).

I''m guessing you already asked about this at the embassy. If you follow their "instructions" you shouldn't have a problem when you apply for the visa in Argentina, but I suggest you share what they told you with us before you come to Argentina without already having the precariaa in hand.

From what I have read on the forum, if you do the visa in Argentina through migraciones, they only want the FBI report. Is that the case? It would be nice to only have to do the FBI report.

AFAIK this is correct.
Migraciones here only knows of "USA" and the FBI report is what "USA" offers.
One more reason to do it here.

It's not even a question of costs so much as headache.
You go into migraciones here, you're dealing with people who do tens of these per day, and basically know what they're doing. You do it in the embassy, my guess is you're dealing with people who are making up half of it on the fly.

My favorite embassy story is with the legalization I needed from the Arg embassy in Toronto.
As mentioned, Canada is not a party to the Hague convention, so no Apostille - the Argentine consulate must legalize all Canadian documents.
There was a schedule of prices depending on how fast you needed the service. As there was no rush, in any event I was here and still needed to send the documents down here, we went for the cheapest one, which took a week.
6 days later, the person who was taking care of this for me in Toronto happened to be downtown and decided to pop in just in case it's ready a day early. Less even, this was afternoon so we were talking about several hours' difference.
She came up against some secretary who made a face and said that you'd paid for a week, and it hasn't been a week yet.
Yes, but I happened to be in the area and wanted to know if I can save myself a trip tomorrow morning. More attitude,
While the worker was busy being difficult, some nicer lady, evidently higher-up in the hierarchy, passed by and said "what's the issue - just give it to her".
The secretary proceeded to take the ready envelope off a shelf and hand it over...

Back