Does Anyone Need Pesos?

From AFIP website (relevant excerpt in red):

Ingreso/Egreso de valores:

Ingreso de dinero en Efectivo e instrumentos monetarios al territorio argentino (RG 2704)
comunLink.gif
Los viajeros a partir de 16 años de edad y los emancipados que introduzcan al territorio argentino dinero en efectivo y/o instrumentos monetarios, en moneda extranjera o nacional de curso legal por un valor igual o superior a DOLARES ESTADOUNIDENSES DIEZ MIL (U$S 10.000) deberán declararlo ante el servicio aduanero, al momento de su ingreso al país, mediante el formulario OM.2249-A. Para los viajeros menores de 16 años no emancipados el importe a considerar será de DOLARES ESTADOUNIDENSES CINCO MIL (U$S 5.000).

Estos límites se computarán por cada viajero o tripulante y para la conversión de monedas deberá tenerse en cuenta el tipo de cambio comprador correspondiente al cierre del día hábil inmediato anterior al del ingreso, comunicado por el Banco de la Nación Argentina.

So it would appear that in contrast to the US policy, here the numbers would work per person. So a couple could bring up to 20000 USD.

A little off topic but does anyone know if the $10000 rule applies to bringing money into Argentina? Can a couple bring $20000 or only $10000?

Thanks. T/

As far as I know, if your passports have different last names, you may each stand on different custom lines and bring $10,000.00 e/o.

A little off topic but does anyone know if the $10000 rule applies to bringing money into Argentina? Can a couple bring $20000 or only $10000?

Thanks. T/

Taking money out of the States is more of an issue than bringing it into Argentina. In theory you, should can only take out US$10,000 per family group traveling together without declaring it, but there is no limit if you declare it. If you're traveling separately, though, you can take out US$10,000 without declaring it, though I'm not certain how they define "separately" - will one seat apart do it? Separate flights would almost certainly do it.

In Argentina, it's US$10,000 per person without declaring it, but also no limit if you do declare it. Of course, declaring it in on arrival in Argentina could conceivably make you a target for thieves or robbers.

Declaring $10,000 outbound of the USA follows the same rules for declaring it inbound. If five family members, including the two toddlers and the ten year old plus mom and dad each have $9,999.99 it would be very easy for the Customs Officer to make a good enough arguement to play the structuring card...in other words trying to beat the $10K declaration. Structuring will cost you all of your money.

I've said it before; there is no law that limits how much money you can leave (or enter) the USA with you must merely declare him much you are, as a family, carrying. When you report it you keep it. You must include that wad of cash in your socks and pants pocket too...all money, all currencies don't declare more the $10K you lose it all if caught.

Declaring $10,000 outbound of the USA follows the same rules for declaring it inbound. If five family members, including the two toddlers and the ten year old plus mom and dad each have $9,999.99 it would be very easy for the Customs Officer to make a good enough arguement to play the structuring card...in other words trying to beat the $10K declaration. Structuring will cost you all of your money.

I've said it before; there is no law that limits how much money you can leave (or enter) the USA with you must merely declare him much you are, as a family, carrying. When you report it you keep it. You must include that wad of cash in your socks and pants pocket too...all money, all currencies don't declare more the $10K you lose it all if caught.
I appreciate the information from the mouth of a real customs agent. One question.....how do you declare something to customs when leaving the states? You don't fill out custom forms or "go through" customs on the way out.

I appreciate the information from the mouth of a real customs agent. One question.....how do you declare something to customs when leaving the states? You don't fill out custom forms or "go through" customs on the way out.

You don't even have to go through immigration on the way out - nobody bothers giving you an "exit" stamp. However, they do have their intelligence - not to mention body scanners - and can certainly apprehend somebody who's "suspicious."

If you want to declare, you have to fill in the Form 105, then go to the customs office and make your declaration. Sometimes TSA is satisfied with your Form 105, sometimes you get to go to the little room for an inspection.

I'm not a customs agent, but I have made many flights with large sums of (legal) cash.

In my country they confiscate everything above 10k and return, when it's proven legal, minus fine for not declaring. I guess should be similar here.

Anyway, anyone have any experience declaring, let's say, 100k dollars going out? What you need to present, to get through? Any real danger involved?

In my country they confiscate everything above 10k and return, when it's proven legal, minus fine for not declaring. I guess should be similar here.

Anyway, anyone have any experience declaring, let's say, 100k dollars going out? What you need to present, to get through? Any real danger involved?

I have traveled out of the US to UK, France, and Germany with as much as $600k. Never a problem with US Customs, as all the papers were in order. Sometimes declaring on entry is time-consuming, but have never lost a penny.

This money was for business purposes - I'd hate to try to explain anything over about $25k.

Back