Today's WSJ: Does Argentina's Milei fear Dollarisation?

sergio

Registered
By Anastasia O'Grady. Not sure if accessible w/o a subscription but you can google it and see.

She is an extreme right wing kook, who is paid by right wing think tanks. I have been reading her for years- I subscribed to the WSJ for a long time, til Murdoch finally got rid of everyone who wasnt a camp follower. She loves dictators, considers everyone in South America a communist, and was born on 3rd and thinks she hit a triple.
She believes in the "morality of the market".

Milei is not able to dollarize.
He is so incompetent at running a government that he has had to resort to using the casta for pretty much all his appointees, and they are not going to let him do anything drastic to upset their applecart. He had no transition team, he had no party, he had no allies or deputados. He is still having difficulty, 2 1/2 months in, finding anyone willing to accept appointed positions to run major parts of the government. He just installed a head of Anses a week or so ago. Migraciones, as far as I know, has no head.

Dollarizing requires enough dollars in the governments hands to support the transition, which he does not have and has no way of getting.

She is an extreme right wing kook, who is paid by right wing think tanks. I have been reading her for years- I subscribed to the WSJ for a long time, til Murdoch finally got rid of everyone who wasnt a camp follower. She loves dictators, considers everyone in South America a communist, and was born on 3rd and thinks she hit a triple.
She believes in the "morality of the market".

Milei is not able to dollarize.
He is so incompetent at running a government that he has had to resort to using the casta for pretty much all his appointees, and they are not going to let him do anything drastic to upset their applecart. He had no transition team, he had no party, he had no allies or deputados. He is still having difficulty, 2 1/2 months in, finding anyone willing to accept appointed positions to run major parts of the government. He just installed a head of Anses a week or so ago. Migraciones, as far as I know, has no head.

Dollarizing requires enough dollars in the governments hands to support the transition, which he does not have and has no way of getting.
Whether dollarisation is or is not a good idea and whether it can even be implemented is debatable Your description of O'Grady, however is emotional and reactionary. I do not always agree with her but when I do disagree - with her or others - I do not resort to silly name calling as an argument.

By Anastasia O'Grady. Not sure if accessible w/o a subscription but you can google it and see.
Most OPINIONS that are published in the WSJ are free to read without a subscription. Even from regular columnist like O'Grady. They are click-bait articles designed to recruit new subscribers, vs the well researched and analytical real business stories which WSJ keeps behind a paywall. At least in this article she states some recent news. Typically she only repeats old cliches about Argentina. https://www.wsj.com/articles/does-milei-fear-dollarization-policy-economy-currency-fae2e379

Most OPINIONS that are published in the WSJ are free to read without a subscription. Even from regular columnist like O'Grady. They are click-bait articles designed to recruit new subscribers, vs the well researched and analytical real business stories which WSJ keeps behind a paywall. At least in this article she states some recent news. Typically she only repeats old cliches about Argentina. https://www.wsj.com/articles/does-milei-fear-dollarization-policy-economy-currency-fae2e379
What cliches?

After Murdoch bought the WSJ, its prestige plummeted. The most respected financial paper is the Financial Times.
The WSJ has FAR wider distribution. In addition to its financial and political coverage its cultural reporting is outstsnding.

The WSJ is the right faction of the neoliberal establishment, just as the NYT is the left faction of the neoliberal establishment. The WSJ and the NYT despise the average Joe and Jane - and the feeling is mutual. Joe is right in this case.

Just today there was a referendum in Ireland that all the major Irish political parties favored (left, right and center) but was voted down by 70% of the peasants. The ruling class is furious with the peasants and vice versa.

Back