Does Buenos Aires have many antiquarian book shops?

ViganLad

Registered
We have lived in NYC for many years. My wife is from SE Asia and I am from Ireland, and we are American citizens..

It was possible back in the late eighties to visit at least a dozen good book stores in Manhattan on a Saturday when I first moved to this city. This has all changed with the emergence of the internet, and it looks like the antiquarian book store is becoming extinct. I am just wondering if the same situation applies to Buenos Aires. I attend the big book fair every spring, and I see the same two or three dealers from BA exhibiting their books, but they are flogging really high priced books, so I have to pass.

Do any of you attend the Buenos Aires Tennis Open in March? We are just wondering if a two week pass is very expensive.

I am also wondering if anyone on the board has ever attended an old fashioned rugby international in Buenos Aires, and is the game played in a dedicated rugby stadium?

Your board is quite wonderful and we have read many posts going back over the years. A big thank you to all the contributors. The board has answered many of our questions re. Buenos Aires and Argentina.

Walrus is not an antiquarian bookstore. I have had a two week pass to the tennis tournament here the last two years and the price is very, very reasonable compared to the US. I don't remember how much I paid but I didn't think twice about doing it and I had never done that in the States because of the price.

We have lived in NYC for many years. My wife is from SE Asia and I am from Ireland, and we are American citizens..

It was possible back in the late eighties to visit at least a dozen good book stores in Manhattan on a Saturday when I first moved to this city. This has all changed with the emergence of the internet, and it looks like the antiquarian book store is becoming extinct. I am just wondering if the same situation applies to Buenos Aires. I attend the big book fair every spring, and I see the same two or three dealers from BA exhibiting their books, but they are flogging really high priced books, so I have to pass.

Do any of you attend the Buenos Aires Tennis Open in March? We are just wondering if a two week pass is very expensive.

I am also wondering if anyone on the board has ever attended an old fashioned rugby international in Buenos Aires, and is the game played in a dedicated rugby stadium?

Your board is quite wonderful and we have read many posts going back over the years. A big thank you to all the contributors. The board has answered many of our questions re. Buenos Aires and Argentina.
1) Already a couple of book stores have closed during the pandemic (at least two big ones in calle Florida). For now, I believe the economic situation is probably far more important than internet sales.
2) Are there tickets avaible for this year's tournament? If I go the website the following message appears: DEBIDO A LAS CONDICIONES SANITARIAS Y LAS RESTRICCIONES GUBERNAMENTALES VIGENTES, ESTE AÑO EL ARGENTINA OPEN CONTARÁ SÓLO CON UNA LIMITADA CANTIDAD DE PÚBLICO CORPORATIVO. NO HABRÁ VENTA AL PÚBLICO DE TICKETS.
NB: if you like tennis, there is also the option to take private lessons. I pay about 1200 per hour (I think it is 1500 pesos for non socios).

Many thanks for all the replies. We will be retiring once we get the Covid vaccine, and we intend visiting Buenos Aires for about six months in order to learn Spanish. We live in glorious times, in that complete strangers living thousands of miles away responded to my questions. The internet did decimate the antiquarian book business in NYC, but it has brought people together in many other ways. We are looking forward to our visit, and it will surely beat looking at blades of grass growing in Florida, and watching the traffic lights change color in the distance.

Walrus is not an antiquarian bookstore. I have had a two week pass to the tennis tournament here the last two years and the price is very, very reasonable compared to the US. I don't remember how much I paid but I didn't think twice about doing it and I had never done that in the States because of the price.
Indeed, Walrus is not an an antiquarian bookstore, but for English speakers/readers new to CABA it is a groovy place.

Wanted to have an antique german book (200+ YO) appraised a couple of years ago in my area - Recoleta.. There was absolutely NO interest in it.
Wouldn't even take it as a gift.

This edition can be googled and found but they told me the market is non existant.

Iz

There are dozens of great used bookstores, and many true antiquarians. It really depends on what you are looking for, of course, but there are really a lot of choices. Mostly, of course, in Spanish. Although I sometimes find interesting things in other languages as well.
There are also a fair amount of smaller book fairs- for instance, last year I went to one at MAMBA, the modern art museum, where a dozen vendors were selling books, with a focus on art, architecture, crafts, poetry and history. These days, many dont have storefronts, but are internet and book fair only.

Many of the really good shops are harder to find- there are probably 2 or 3 dozen along florida, or a block or two away, including one entire galeria (small indoor shopping mall) which is all antique books. There are dealers who specialize in maps, others who do airplane related books, military ones, art, music, history, poetry- some require some tracking down, as they may only be open rarely, and you need to arrange an appointment.

Tons of bookstores on Corrientes, as well, although usually newer (as opposed to true antiques) Also, there is a bookstore cluster around the corner of Pueyrredon and Santa Fe.

Here is one list- but it is far from complete. https://www.centrodebuenosaires.com/librerias-del-centro-de-buenos-aires/

Back