Does Buenos Aires have many antiquarian book shops?

There are also clusters of much smaller booksellers in odd places. There are a bunch near La Rural, and a cluster at the south end of Tribunales park that specialize in legal books, of all things.

Of antiquarian types, there's "Helena" at Esmeralda 882 just north of Cordoba, two blocks east of 9 de Julio in the downtown area. They have all sorts of old books in the window, along with a few very well-read cats. They call themselves a "Libreria Anticuaria"

Last edited:
I highly recommend The Book Seller, owned by an english dude with many antique books in all languages....
Actually, the name of the business is The Book Cellar. The name of the owner is Daniel Zachariah. I´ve bought dozens of books from him using Mercado Libre and he is a great person with whom to do business.. He is a member (thebookcellar) of this group, but hasn´t posted here since April of 2018.

Daniel Zachariah
The Book Cellar & Henschel
Reconquista 533, 1ºC
11-4314-4764
[email protected]

http://bookcellarbsas.com

The other, related thing, that is common in Buenos Aires, is paper ephemera- that is, the category that includes old postcards, photos, advertisments, menus, magazines, brochures, catalogs and programs.
Because Argentina is so isolated, physically, from most global collectors of this stuff, and because, as a country, they tend to keep old things on principle, there is a LOT of that stuff.
I see it all the time at flea markets, antique fairs, and bookstores.
I have friends who collect this sort of stuff, usually they are graphic designers or architects or artists- and whenever they visit as tourists, they buy all kinds of things. And, of course, many argentines collect as well.

Back