Does Permanent Residency Need to be Renewed?

Remember that you must set foot on Argentine soil at least once every two years to keep it.

steveinbsas said:
Remember that you must set foot on Argentine soil at least once every two years to keep it.

Thansk Steve, this I didnt know and it is v useful info for us at this point.

For us too. Is this true? I was told at migraciones that once you get permanent residency it is for life.
If so, anybody know what happens if you don't come back to Argentina for two years, how easy would it be to "renew" the once permanent status?

When I got mine the guy at migraciones said that it was unlikely they would ever make a deal about it -- but he did also say that since mine is via marriage that if anyone ever said anything then it would be a "relatively simple process" -- I'm not sure how it would be for someone who has it independetly of an Argentine. I really doubt it would be that big of a deal though, at least not at this point-- at some point in the future perhaps migraciones would get more fussy about keeping paperwork up to date.

With Argentine bureaucracy you can't be sure of much however I've heard from good sources that if you pass two years you can do the paper work to straighten things out but how difficult it would be is anyone's guess. Better not to exceed the two year limit.

Back