Dogs On Planes

bobsnowpuppy

Registered
Would really appreciate any shared advice/experiences with moving dogs to BA. I am traveling AA through Dallas and they are going in cargo - no choice. Too many connections for me to go through Miami and in any case, it's hot there too! The airline restricts travel with any stops/destinations where temps are forecast at 85 degrees F or higher. Has anyone flown dogs this route before? Any tips or experiences good or bad to relate? I appreciate anything you can tell me. I plan to travel 9/13/14, but it depends on the temps. I am just sitting in the States waiting for temps to drop, twiddling my thumbs!

If you call the Instituto Lazareto they should be able to tell you all you need to know. Also try calling the Agriculture Department of the US embassy in Buenos Aires.

http://www.senasa.gov.ar/contenido.php?to=n&in=940&io=4033

If you find a friendly/sympathetic psychiatrist you can have your animals registered as "emotional support animals", which can then travel for free in the cabin with you.

I came with my dogs from Brazil so that was only a short flight, but I would organise it well especially the arrival here!
I know that Las Lunas has a service for international travel. This is there website:
http://www.las-lunas.com.ar

Would really appreciate any shared advice/experiences with moving dogs to BA. I am traveling AA through Dallas and they are going in cargo - no choice. Too many connections for me to go through Miami and in any case, it's hot there too! The airline restricts travel with any stops/destinations where temps are forecast at 85 degrees F or higher. Has anyone flown dogs this route before? Any tips or experiences good or bad to relate? I appreciate anything you can tell me. I plan to travel 9/13/14, but it depends on the temps. I am just sitting in the States waiting for temps to drop, twiddling my thumbs!

For the dogs' comfort, it might make more sense to go LAX-Lima-Ezeiza with LAN. LAX and Lima both have cool coastal climates, though LAX can get warm spells in September.

For the dogs' comfort, it might make more sense to go LAX-Lima-Ezeiza with LAN. LAX and Lima both have cool coastal climates, though LAX can get warm spells in September.

I agree, this route might speed up your departure date quite a bit. We flew our dog on Delta Airlines from California through Atlanta to Buenos Aires and then back through Lima on LAN. Honestly, both airlines handled it really well. We also flew our dog to Europe when we lived there on American Airlines, and it was a bureaucratic challenge, but it turns out that nowadays most airlines won't fly dogs at all in cargo during the summer (their rules about temperature are excellent, but you can definitely get stuck somewhere for awhile, and it's tough luck for you), with American Airlines being the rare exception. Make sure you insist on giving them the measurements and weight of your kennel with the dog inside. Depending on how big/heavy it is (ours is extra large), there are many planes that the kennel cannot fit into here in the US! Also, your good health certificate from the vet is only valid for a limited number of days from its issuance, so be careful with that potential glitch. Luckily, the flights from Europe went smoothly again, but it was the most stressful part of our return. Thankfully, cool weather prevailed! Good luck...

We transported all four of our pets (two dogs, two cats) with United Airlines' PetSafe program (HOU -> EZE), despite ourselves always flying Delta (ATL -> EZE). There is a lot of red tape you need to manage in the US (USDA, Aphis, form 7001, etc) prior to their departure. You'll then have to deal with Senasa (http://www.<span sty...&in=739&io=8463) here in Argentina.

Edit - I'm glad to attach the PDFs I have from our experience, but I can't grok how to do that.

I agree, this route might speed up your departure date quite a bit. We flew our dog on Delta Airlines from California through Atlanta to Buenos Aires and then back through Lima on LAN.

When was that? The 767 Delta now uses is not certified to transport pets. Thus, we had to use United (in May 2014).

Thanks for all the input. Unfortunately my route through Dallas is not changeable. &, American Airlines has the best policy for taking dogs to South America. I already have the health certificate with USDA certification scheduled. It does look like there will be a break in temperatures next week. So I may be traveling a few days earlier to take advantage of that.

Back