Dogs: Three year rabies vaccine not valid to leave the country??

mini

Registered
I just went to the vet to get the travel certificate to take my dogs to the US. I was told that the three year vaccine is not valid in Argentina & I need to vaccinate my dogs every year in Argentina..... & thus can not take the dogs out of the country.

Does anyone know more about this? And/Or does anyone know a "friendly" vet? I've found the only one in Argentina who wouldn't back date the vaccine.... (not that that was my idea...)

That is correct. Argentina will not recognize the 3 year rabies vaccine. The only thing you can do is get your dog a new 1 year rabies vaccine in Argentina. Also, make sure you do this more than 30 days prior to returning to Argentina. For example, if you get the new 1 year shot, go to the US for 2 weeks, and then try to return, you will run into problems. You actually will need the the sticker from the vaccine that has lot number and details about the vaccine, so there really is no way you can have this back dated. I have a good cheap vet in Palermo Viejo (Paraguay and Julian Alverez). Let me know if you would like the number.

jkreisler said:
That is correct. Argentina will not recognize the 3 year rabies vaccine. The only thing you can do is get your dog a new 1 year rabies vaccine in Argentina. Also, make sure you do this more than 30 days prior to returning to Argentina. For example, if you get the new 1 year shot, go to the US for 2 weeks, and then try to return, you will run into problems.

Yes but to EXIT the country???

You actually will need the the sticker from the vaccine that has lot number and details about the vaccine, so there really is no way you can have this back dated.
Of course you can. The date is not on the sticker. The date in put in by the vet.

I have a good cheap vet in Palermo Viejo (Paraguay and Julian Alverez). Let me know if you would like the number.
Sure. If you are happy with him, I'd love to visit your vet.

You're right about the date. I just looked and it was written in. When we left, SENSA did not look at our paperwork only the airline checked to make sure that the paperwork was in order to meet US entry requirements.

Vet is called El Perro de Cullan on Julian Alvarez 2015. Phone number is 4821.1050. Vet's name is Mariano. We have been very happy with him. He tends to open at around noon, so don't go too early. We have an 8 pound Italian Greyhound that has some rare medical conditions, and he has really been great to work with. Very inexpensive too.

jkreisler said:
You're right about the date. I just looked and it was written in. When we left, SENSA did not look at our paperwork only the airline checked to make sure that the paperwork was in order to meet US entry requirements.
I think you are right about this too! But I've never left with then yet so I was getting a bit worried.

Vet is called El Perro de Cullan on Julian Alvarez 2015. Phone number is 4821.1050. Vet's name is Mariano. We have been very happy with him. He tends to open at around noon, so don't go too early. We have an 8 pound Italian Greyhound that has some rare medical conditions, and he has really been great to work with. Very inexpensive too.
Thank you. I will get them vaccinated on monday. This will not be 30 days before they leave, but it will be 30 days before they come back.

Also, one of them will be out of the Argentina for more than 30 days. Do you think I'll have to get a vet certificate for her from the US?

Thanks for your help/comments.

Yes, you technically will have to go and get a vet certificate from the US before you return to Argentina. Even if you are only gone for a few days, you need to get the certificate from the US vet. That said, the last couple of times we have entered Argentina nobody noticed we had a dog. We did not have to show any paperwork at customs or pay any fees.

Jkreisler....do you know if rabies is the only vaccine required to take your dog and/or cat out of Argentina to the states? I am pretty sure I had to be current on 3 vaccines bringing my cat into Argentina...maybe one called a "3 in 1" and the "cat flu" one..sorry can't think of what it's called...:)

My cat is indoor only and I don't like to over vaccinate so only did so he could travel.

I have not been able to obtain current information on what vaccines are required...I know I will need to get the 1 years rabies....but what else?

Thanks for any suggestions....

To bring a dog to the US, you just need the rabies vaccine and it has to be administered 30 days prior to entry. The US will accept the 3 year vaccine. The only other thing you need is the vet certificate from here stating the dog is in good health. It's a SENSA form so all the vets will use the same form. A lot of the airlines want you to have the form translated because it is in Spanish. I'm assuming the rules for a cat are the same. To get back into Argentina you do need the other vaccines and the 1 year rabies shot as well as a health certificate from a US vet. You can also check with your airline. I know Continental, Copa, and Delta all have pet help desks and will assist you in making sure you have all the required documentation for entry into both countries.

jkreisler said:
Yes, you technically will have to go and get a vet certificate from the US before you return to Argentina. Even if you are only gone for a few days, you need to get the certificate from the US vet. That said, the last couple of times we have entered Argentina nobody noticed we had a dog. We did not have to show any paperwork at customs or pay any fees.

The vet said that if the trip orgininated from Argentina then the certificate thing he does will allow you to come back in as long as it's within X days. He has to check 1. how many X days are & 2. If I can exit the country (with the vaccine issue mentioned above).

I'll let you know when I find out. But I'm going to visit your vet too on monday.

EvergreenGal said:
Jkreisler....do you know if rabies is the only vaccine required to take your dog and/or cat out of Argentina to the states? I am pretty sure I had to be current on 3 vaccines bringing my cat into Argentina...maybe one called a "3 in 1" and the "cat flu" one..sorry can't think of what it's called...:)

My cat is indoor only and I don't like to over vaccinate so only did so he could travel.

I have not been able to obtain current information on what vaccines are required...I know I will need to get the 1 years rabies....but what else?

Thanks for any suggestions....

I don't know about cats, but the vet today told me that there are no other vaccines to worry about for dogs except the rabies.

Back