Dollar controls getting stricter

we dont have DNI's in NZ

Sorry about my ignorance, but how do you get passports issued then? How do they know that you are you? Of course you have a card somewhere, but is not in your hand like here, that's it.

Of course we have a card somewhere - NO!!!! we don't have a number - a card - not anything!
We have no identification number and it's absolutely not necessary!

Lucas, you can also buy gold in any form or carat you want in the United States.
I have a friend who manufactures special alloys for the jewelry industry- he buys gold all the time, with no special license or permit, he just calls up and orders it, and it is shipped right to his door.
It is perfectly legal in the USA for anyone to own all the gold they want, and to buy or sell it anywhere they want. I could sell gold bars on the street corner, and the government would not care.

You are also incorrect about owning foreign currency in other countries- many many countries dont care at all.

In fact, over 1/2 of the US dollars in circulation are NOT in the USA at all, but used all over the world in foreign countries as currency.

In most civilized, first world countries that I have visited, there are no laws regarding exchanging currency for foreign currency, and its quick, easy, and done at any bank or casa de cambio, usually without signing anything by simply presenting ID.
In fact, of the 2 dozen or so countries I have been to, the only one that is as complicated as Argentina is Burma, now called Myanmar, the notorious Military dictatorship, which tracked every dollar I spent when I travelled there.

And in the USA, they could care less if I stuff my mattress with Argentine pesos, Japanese Yen, Euros or anything else.

Argentina is actually very unusual in all the fancy rules they have regarding dollars, and, as evidenced by history, these rules dont really work anyway...

marksoc said:
Sorry about my ignorance, but how do you get passports issued then? How do they know that you are you? Of course you have a card somewhere, but is not in your hand like here, that's it.

To get a passport for the first time, you have to provide a birth certificate, and get someone to witness your application who has known you for 1 year.
However most people get them when they are kids (their parents apply for them), so when they are adults they already have a passport which makes it easier to obtain a new one.

Look here:
http://www.passports.govt.nz/vwluResources/adult-new-form.pdf/$file/adult-new-form.pdf

This is whats required:
Two (2) identical recent colour photos of yourself
Someone to act as a witness who is over 16 years of age and has a valid New Zealand Passport
The correct application fee

Your witness:
Your witness must fill in this section in their own handwriting and write your name on the back of one photo and sign and date the back of the photo.
Who can be your witness?
Your witness must:
• have a valid New Zealand Passport
• have known you for 1 year or more
• be 16 years of age or older
• not be related to you; for example, your witness cannot be your parent, child, brother, sister, aunt, uncle or cousin
• not be your spouse or partner
• not live at the same address as you.
Your witness needs to provide their passport number, name, date of birth and contact details, including a day-time phone number.
Your witness writes on the back of one photo Your witness must write your full name, their own signature and the date on the back of one photo. A business that takes passport photos will usually supply one photo with a pre-printed label on the back.

The only form of ID i am required to carry in NZ is my drivers licence when i drive a car/truck etc.

And before any of you guys decide to rush off to apply for a NZ passport with fake papers etc thinking it is easy, they have caught israeli mossad agents and put them in jail for thinking they could do the same thing, so i am guessing they could get an average joe.. unless of course there are hundreds or thousands of israeli mossad agents with NZ passports and the NZ police only caught a few stupid ones !!!!
I read about 10 years ago that there were over 7 million NZ passports on issue, and the population of NZ at the time was around 3.5 million.. Maybe 1/2 the population of israeli have fake kiwi passports !!!!!!!

TheBlackHand said:
It doesn't sound like a problem as long as you can prove the origin of funds.

No offense but you can't be serious making this statement. Anytime government, especially these bureaucrats insert themselves into any process, they make everything problematic whether you can prove origin of funds or not. This is going to be a nightmare.

Your witness:
Your witness must fill in this section in their own handwriting and write your name on the back of one photo and sign and date the back of the photo.
Who can be your witness?
Your witness must:
• have a valid New Zealand Passport
• have known you for 1 year or more
• be 16 years of age or older
• not be related to you; for example, your witness cannot be your parent, child, brother, sister, aunt, uncle or cousin
• not be your spouse or partner
• not live at the same address as you.
Your witness needs to provide their passport number, name, date of birth and contact details, including a day-time phone number.
Your witness writes on the back of one photo Your witness must write your full name, their own signature and the date on the back of one photo. A business that takes passport photos will usually supply one photo with a pre-printed label on the back.

Wow, just wow. Seems that the DNI is not so bad after all (and I only take it with me to do "legal" stuff like a passport or -hehehe- buying dollars). I think that in all my entire life I have been asked only once about my DNI by a police officer (when I was a teenager). If the police stops your car you show your driving license and the "cedula" (ownership of the car or that you are authorized by the owner to use it) and the insurance.

marksoc said:
Wow, just wow. Seems that the DNI is not so bad after all (and I only take it with me to do "legal" stuff like a passport or -hehehe- buying dollars). I think that in all my entire life I have been asked only once about my DNI by a police officer (when I was a teenager). If the police stops your car you show your driving license and the "cedula" (ownership of the car or that you are authorized by the owner to use it) and the insurance.

I am not quiet sure what you are getting at here.. I dont think it is hard at all. Just go to nextdoor neighbour, and ask them to sign the back of a passport photo, fill in their name / address / passport number on the application form. Thats it.. 5 mintues max.. Post off the application form to the passport office and passport is sent to you within 10 working days..

Back