Dollar controls getting stricter

Miles Lewis said:
It could actually be sorted out quite rapidly be not allowing domestic contracts to be written in foreign currency. Then devaluation would be positive for most of the economy, As there is a huge amount of agricultural goods that re sold in dollars, central bank reserves would increase. Argentina has a relatively low level of external debt and a relatively high level of exports. Devaluation is excellent for everyone who does not care about buying foreign brands...perhaps 95% of the country?

I understand that's the next step and will begin with the derogation of that unpatriotic Menem's decree by stipulating that all new lease contracts payments had to be done in 'local currency only, pesos,' and not in US dollars as an option.

This government is fully determined to end the speculation and corruption that is prevailing within the foreign exchange system. It must be flush out once for all, and I'm sure they will succeed on this, there is no other option it is rooting the life of every citizen for many decades now, they behave like zombies with this.

If this country wants to forge ahead this corrupt filthy speculation must be extirpated even if they have to fight the formidable war already declared by the dominant and monopolistic media corporate with they lies, agitation and promotion of fears in the population.

Honestly, I don't know very much about the whole currency thing. But isn't the fact that you can't trade your Argentine Peso anywhere outside the country a bit of a problem? I mean, if I took my AR$ outside of Argentina, Chile & Uruguay would I actually be able to sell them? Are there other currencies like that? I'm sure there probably are & if so why is that?

(bet that question really shows my ignorance in currency markets! lol)

ETA: I should just add that I think that the real estate market should be the target of this whole thing & not nec this blanket ruling that was just made. Personally, I think it's things like this that cause people to panic. I know I"m panicking a bit. Because I'm not from here & will eventually leave. (sooner rather than later)

If this country wants to forge ahead this corrupt filthy speculation must be extirpated even if they have to fight the formidable war already declared by the dominant and monopolistic media corporate with they lies, agitation and promotion of fears in the population.[/quote]

Lucas I have no problem with any country tackling money laundering etc but it's the K hypocrisy that consistently makes it difficult for me to swallow their holier than thou stance. I'm too lazy to look up references for this - tough work day not over yet, - but it was pretty much common knowledge 3-4 years ago that Kirchner was buying dollars and squirelling them abroad for his future retirement - Im not saying stealing but legally purchasing them which says a lot for his own faith in his beloved peso currency. Yes it was reported in the media and maybe I am a blind fool who believes what she reads but please, enough "enemy of the week" which is how this govt seems to operate..today the dollar, tomorrow las malvinas, USA, evil corporations, exporters, importers..you name it they got someone to pin the blame on!

Wow, things don't look good at all. :(

Buying dollars for "safe" investing was a habit of many people. They didn't send it overseas, they kept them as a more stable form of savings than the peso because the peso is constantly losing value. Inflation is rampant and I don't think it has to do with speculators, but mostly the government. Saying you can't buy dollars (or making it increasingly difficult to do so) just seems like a very weak attempt to prop up a failing currency. This very well may backfire.

I hate to see normal middle class people pay for the shenanigans of the big corporations, politicians, and celebrities of Argentina. :mad: Very sad. Why didn't they start with all those who have foreign bank accounts and various properties in Miami and Italy?

fifs2 said:
Lucas I have no problem with any country tackling money laundering etc but it's the K hypocrisy that consistently makes it difficult for me to swallow their holier than thou stance. I'm too lazy to look up references for this - tough work day not over yet, - but it was pretty much common knowledge 3-4 years ago that Kirchner was buying dollars and squirelling them abroad for his future retirement - Im not saying stealing but legally purchasing them which says a lot for his own faith in his beloved peso currency. Yes it was reported in the media and maybe I am a blind fool who believes what she reads but please, enough "enemy of the week" which is how this govt seems to operate..today the dollar, tomorrow las malvinas, USA, evil corporations, exporters, importers..you name it they got someone to pin the blame on!

Here we go again. What proof do you have of that?.. or you are going to tell me that you read that in a head title on the Clarin, La Nacion or Perfil newspapers or you did hear it on the TN tv news at channel 13?

Facts, my friend facts and not only bad intentioned gossip from yellow journalism, or better said, blatant lies.

Don't be that lazy and try to inform yourself better or just step outside your apartment and have a look around, talk to people and not only people living in the Recolecta neighborhood or from Libertador Avenue old chaps and you will open at last your droopy lazy eyelids....and this is going with buena onda.

They know exactly that people read the head title most of the time and not the rest of it so they manipulate this to misinform, sometimes they will explain in detail down the note that this is not the case but is hidden inside the text so you never will know if you don't read the article entirely, there resides the trick. Very cunning newspapers all those mentioned above plus their clones of course all under the same corporation, from the Murdoch argentine mogul, H. Magneto and friends.

Very cunning newspapers all those mentioned above plus their clones of course all under the same corporation, from the Murdoch argentine mogul, H. Magneto and friends.[/quote]

Doesn't it get tiring sometimes thinking that the entire world press including Murdoch etc are all conspiring to besmirch the pristine white image of Saint Christina and her crew? Im prepared to admit I'm a lazy reference poster but maybe likewise you could admit you're a tad naive in believing the propoganda she and her 6,7,8 and pagina 12 friends spoutor maybe she doesnt indeed have petite hotels and more than 12 properties and is in fact living in sack cloth and ashes in a villa downtown?

You Argentines never cease to amaze me how protective of your government you are. I'm originally from Croatia, though lived all around the place. Anyways, Croatia is as corrupt as Argentina (luckily EU is trying to put us in order, like other new members in Eastern/Central Europe) and our ex-PM is doing his time behind the bars after being extradited from Austria, where he fled. Most of us Croatians are fully aware of how corrupt our government is and we don't take any anti-govt talk as a personal offence, like you Argies do.

Nestor himself having been half-Croatian is a proof we are good at exporting politicians and other crooks

As usually, they are not going to gain anything with these new measures. Actually, restrictions usually give a birth to black market and later organized crime. Al Capone thrived out of prohibition

This comment is probably not needed and can be deleted but I just don't understand what the hell is an argentine doing in an expats forum and worst yet, taking the contrary against everyone.

It seems Lucas has serious xenophobia issues that he should address before speaking his mind out in a place where clearly its all about foreigners points of view and not looking for a local to clear them out.

Just a thought.

Although I am often not in agreement, I do like to see Argentines contribute to this forum. In the past decades I have seen a lot of exchange controls come and go, and huge fluctuations in the exchange rate of the legal and parallel dollar. What amazes me it that the Argentines are able to take it in their stride and survive. I can only hope that those of us from other countries are able to cope with economic chaos as well as the Argentines.

waldo_jeffers said:
This comment is probably not needed and can be deleted but I just don't understand what the hell is an argentine doing in an expats forum and worst yet, taking the contrary against everyone.

It seems Lucas has serious xenophobia issues that he should address before speaking his mind out in a place where clearly its all about foreigners points of view and not looking for a local to clear them out.

Just a thought.

Part of being an immigrant/expat in another country is the immersion of oneself into the country. While the majority of my friends here are foreigners from literally all over the world, I do have a few Argentine friends, and their perspectives on many issues are refreshing. I find it somewhat strange to be in a foreign country, and show some sort of disapproval from hearing from locals, as you are doing. Isn't this part of the experience?

With that said, I don't agree with everything Lucas says, but I think his contributions are to be valued. I'm actually not sure if he's Argentine, but really, should it matter anyway?

Back