Dollar Exchange Question

jet4749

Registered
Hi everyone,

I will be in Buenos Aires this Thursday and my brother had mention to do a dollar exchange, but not at the banks. Does anyone know how I can go about this without going to Calle Florida, simply because I am worried about false pesos since that seems to be a major problem in Argentina.

Thanks so much! :)

Hi everyone,

I will be in Buenos Aires this Thursday and my brother had mention to do a dollar exchange, but not at the banks. Does anyone know how I can go about this without going to Calle Florida, simply because I am worried about false pesos since that seems to be a major problem in Argentina.

Thanks so much! :)

By going to this place called "Casa Rosada". They do all kindsa currency exchanges there. Great rates as well ;-)

On a serious note, why don't you want to go to calle Florida? That is where you'd go especially if you're new here and don't know people.

ElNico, I've been to Calle Florida many times and I'll be going there definitely, but I'm worried about who to trust in regards to false pesos. I've been hearing too many stories about dollar exchange on that street and they wind up getting false pesos.

There are a lot of places many of us trust. I just don't think it's a good idea to post their info in a public thread because it would harm them. If you're going to stay at a hotel I can tell you that the front desk will most likely be doing courtesy exchange if you're willing to give up a few centavos per dollar.

ElNico, I've been to Calle Florida many times and I'll be going there definitely, but I'm worried about who to trust in regards to false pesos. I've been hearing too many stories about dollar exchange on that street and they wind up getting false pesos.

By going to this place called "Casa Rosada". They do all kindsa currency exchanges there. Great rates as well ;-)

On a serious note, why don't you want to go to calle Florida? That is where you'd go especially if you're new here and don't know people.

My bad, if you're no longer in a hotel. No one sane is going to give you specifics about their cuevas. There are markers that are used to detect fakes.

Go to Galeria Boston downstairs, about Florida 142.
I traded with them for years with no problem, it is a business and they would not dare to pass fake money, also go with an Argie friend to smoth things up, just in case.

Hello. Does anyone use an exchange place downtown that they could share with me? (by PM if you prefer) Preferably closer to the San Telmo side. Please! Thank you.

Go to Galeria Boston downstairs, about Florida 142.
I traded with them for years with no problem, it is a business and they would not dare to pass fake money, also go with an Argie friend to smoth things up, just in case.
I went to the Galeria Boston Friday to buy some pesos. I took my 3 freshly minted $100s and 8 $20s (Note: The rate is better for $50s and $100s). I told the guy I had 3 $100s and 8 $20s. He counted it out to me and there were 4 $100 bills! The new bills stick together well.

Major recommendation for the money changer at Galeria Boston for honesty above and beyond the call of duty!

Is this a reliable place to change US $20 dollar bills? Anyone know what the current rate is?

Back